aberdeen-music

Sky Broadband

Chris

Anyone got Sky Broadband? Would you class yourself as a heavy user? Care to tell me if it's any good?

Since my ISP got sold off to Tiscali my download speed and general service has been utter shite so I think it's time to change. Sky are tempting me with the tv, broadband and free phone calls deal for much the same price as I pay just now but I want to know that I'm not going to get the same shite download speeds I get now (router says I connect at almost 7meg yet my d/l speeds are about 70kps. prior to being moved to Tiscali I got about 500k per second).

I've had Sky broadband for almost a year with no probs.

I think the "real" maximum download speed I've had has been around 600kbps, downloading stuff from strong sources, but who knows, maybe I could actually get higher, a lot depends on what you are downloading.

But yes, no probs for me with Sky broadband, although as usual it depends on distance from the exchange etc.

Jury's out on the phone calls thing. I'm not sure if I've saved money or not. Yes, you get free evening and weekend calls, but it seems calls at other times are more expensive, especially to mobiles, national rate numbers etc.

I've had it since it came out and It's still as amazing as it was when I first got it. In fact it's better now, as it sees to be faster.

http://www.mybroadbandspeed.co.uk/results/00143882.png

Is the speed I get so just under 7 meg.

If you've got a mobile just use it during the day (when you're probably at work anyway) - never make calls on it outside of evening & weekends - and use the house phone at night and the weekend for free (remember and hang up every 59 minutes to be sure.) It's saving me ever going over my monthly minutes on the mobile now, which used to happen a lot when I used it for all calls and never had the free calls deal!

If you only take 1 Sky mix it's only 21 a month for a few extra TV channels, "up to" 8 meg broadband with 40gb a month limit and free evening & weekend calls which you'll notice will keep your useage down on the mobile. It's 30 installation. You cannae go wrong. Some broadband providers are charging that just for the broadband!

Just be warned that Sky is frequently a pain in the arse to get installed! If it's not the need for a special heights unit there'll be a problem with the dish positioning or some cabling issues! There's always something but it always get done in the end.

If you only take 1 Sky mix it's only 21 a month for a few extra TV channels, "up to" 8 meg broadband with 40gb a month limit and free evening & weekend calls which you'll notice will keep your useage down on the mobile.

OK Mr Murdoch. ;)

Apparently they don't really have any way of checking whether or not you are going over the limit. I'm fairly sure I must go over frequently, and they've never said anything to me.

Guest Neutral
00145558.png

Just got Sky the other day, after waiting 3 weeks to get it going. The above speed is what I get with it plugged in to the modem but I only get this on wireless...

00145557.png

If you connect to the internet using wireless from a router your download speeds will usually be slower than if you were connected to the router via lan cable

I get 200kbs max on wireless, through lan cable i get 980kbps max

tried on different os and the same thing

I think its to do with latency, bandwidth or something