aberdeen-music

New My Bloody Valentine album for 2008 (Aye right)

My Bloody Valentine back together and recording new material | News | Guardian Unlimited Music

My Bloody Valentine back together and recording new material

The legendary Irish group have reunited and will release an album next year

Rosie Swash

Thursday November 8, 2007

Guardian Unlimited

Following months of hope and speculation from devoted fans and music blogs, My Bloody Valentine have confirmed that they are back together and recording new material.

The legendary Irish group, known for their distinctive and distorted brand of noise-rock, have confirmed they will be releasing their first album since 1991 next year.

In an interview with Vice Broadcasting Service, which airs next Monday, MBV frontman Kevin Shields talks about the new recordings: "It sounds like what we sounded like, different but not radically different. People will go, 'Yeah, it sounds like My Bloody Valentine.'" He also revealed that the as-yet-unnamed album was first started in 1996 but features material from as far back as 1993, as well as "a little bit of new stuff".

Although the band never officially split, MBV were last heard of 16 years ago with the release of the seminal album Loveless. Rumours that the band were working together again surfaced in January this year, when Shields told Magnet magazine that the band would "100%" record a new album, "unless we die or something..."

There was also talk of an appearance at next year's Coachella festival, with music news site the Daily Swarm reporting in August that the band are set to headline the festival in 2008, though the band have yet to confirm or deny this.

• 5 months later...