aberdeen-music

Cabinets

Yo,

I really appreciated the help everyone gave me on my last thread, just wondered if someone can help me again.

Is there any main difference in a straight or slant 4x12 cab?

Also, I've been looking into speakers, and can't seem make up my mind regarding what size cab I should get. My main ideas are:

4x12 with G12T-75/Seventy 80 celestion speakers

or a 2x12 with G12T-100 celestion speakers

Obviously I've been trying stuff out, but any advice would be great too.

Slanted cab projects some of the sound up...towards your ears if you are standing up which can be handy. As for speakers I've tried a few combinations and found that in a Marshall the Greenback vintage style speakers are good for bluesy sounds and rock...slightly more subtle than the standard GT12 75's which have a bit more punch. In a 4x12" the GT12's have a very airy sound to them which you don't get in the 2x12" though again the 2x12" adds some more punch which is better for harder styles of rock. The GT12 75's seem to be good all round speakers and are cheaper than the Greenbacks.

Originally posted by Ewan U.N.C.L.E.:

slanted cabs dont project sound upwards any more than straight cabs.

They do, but it depends on where your ears are in relation to the on-axis sound. If the on-axis sound is pointing at your ears, the amp can be played quieter, less bleed through the other mics is the bonus, more control FOH is the result.

I know grasshoppers have ears in their kness but I've yet to meet a guitar player similarly equipped.