aberdeen-music

more computer spaz help required

Metarie

I'm getting a new computer on Sunday (birthday, yay!) and I've got shit loads of music, photos and stuff that I want to transfer from my old computer without using heaps of disks and stuff.

How? Can I just connect them with something and copy data or something? They'll both be running on Windows XP Home as far as I know.

Guest DustyDeviada

Do you have an iPod? You can use them as a portable hard drive, very handy for stuff like that.

Otherwise there is a way to set up a little network between the 2 machines, I think the cable you need it called a CAT5 or something, but hopefully some geeks will be along soon to advise. ;)

Simply remove the hard disk from your old computer and connect it to the new computer and copy the files directly from one hard drive to the other. If you just take the wires out of your CD rom drive and connect it temporarily to the old hard drive you won't need to change any jumper settings. Then connect it back. If you computer is any good the IDE cable will only fit the correct way onto your hard drive. Use google for more advice...it's a piece of piss. Do NOT pay anyone any money for such an easy task as this....

Guest onlynik
Simply remove the hard disk from your old computer and connect it to the new computer and copy the files directly from one hard drive to the other. If you just take the wires out of your CD rom drive and connect it temporarily to the old hard drive you won't need to change any jumper settings. Then connect it back. If you computer is any good the IDE cable will only fit the correct way onto your hard drive. Use google for more advice...it's a piece of piss. Do NOT pay anyone any money for such an easy task as this....

Its only easy if you know how to do it.

I swear I actually made this face o_O when I read that.

You gotta understand that I don't even know what a hard drive looks like. I was hoping it'd be as simple as attaching a USB cable between the two and just leaving it for a few hours.

Gonna call my mummy I think :up: