aberdeen-music

best bob dylan album?

shaun

what do you think is bob dylan's best album?

not your favourite album. what you think is his best one.

so come on people. you have alot to choose from.

:cheers:

and if you want. you can put in your favourite dylan album for shits and giggles.

i'd also like to say that i think dylan's best album is 'Blonde On Blonde'

though it is a hard choice and when it comes down to it. i would probably say that. but i'm still not even sure.

and my favourite would probably be one out of 'Blonde On Blonde' 'Highway 61 Revisited' and 'Bringing It All Back Home'

Best Bob Dylan album I hear you say?

Hmmmm, so very, very hard to choose.

I'd say Blonde On Blonde. 14 tracks of pure genuis made at the height of his creative peak. Fave songs from Blonde on Blonde? Probably Visions of Johanna, or, Sad Eyed Lady Of The Lowlands.

Favourite album? For shits and giggles? Hmmmm

Highway 61 is up there - The album that first got me into the man as I'd learned Like A Rolling Stone on guitar without actually hearing the song, so dusted off my Dads copy and was taken by storm. So many memories. Favourite song? Like a Rolling Stone, Ballad Of A Thin Man, Desolation Row

Also - Blood on The Tracks is one of the those albums that appear such a simply put together album, but the more you listen to it, the sheer genius of the man becomes apparent. His best album of the 70s and this record and Desire, show just how close his 70s peak was to his 60s peak. Favourite songs : Tangled Up In Blue, If You See Her, Say Hello and Idiot Wind.

Hounarable mentions to Time Out Of Mind, Desire, Bringing It All Back Home and The Freewheelin.

ah! how could i forget about 'Blood On The Tracks'

that is album full of emotions. i love it. i have been listening to it alot recently. nice to go to sleep to.

and of course 'Empire Burlesque' is better than 'Blonde On Blonde' :angel:

*sorry about that matthew. it was me calling it 'Burlesque Empire' that resulted in you also calling it that also. when it is really the other way round. :O

but it's not a very good album anyway. so who cares.*

Guest Satyam Shivam Sundaram

I prefer Donovan, who started out as a Dylan clone, but soon found his own hippy jazzy/folk/pop sound...

I must be right cos John Peel says so!

Originally posted by Turnham Green:

I prefer Donovan, who started out as a Dylan clone, but soon found his own hippy jazzy/folk/pop sound...

I must be right cos John Peel says so!

Donovan certainly was a clone when he started out, even though Donovan was a far more acomplished musician.

But like Dylan (a Woody Guthrie clone back in the day) he soon found his feet and go onto make some great original stuff.

I`d go with Blood On The Tracks being up there....

I generally have a personal favourite as to whatever mood i`m in..

My favourite song of all time by any artist is "The Lonesome Death Of Hattie Carrol" from Times They Are a Changing....

Masters Of War is also an absolute diamond, as is Down The Highway..... Freewheelin is obviously worth a mention.

Bringin It all Back home was a massive influence on Lennon, Harrison and McCartney and Dylan even first introduced the beatles to serious strength marijuana....

Recently Time Out Of Mind was great... Not Dark Yet being an absolute classic...

The thing with Dylan is that he is so proliffic that you never know when some songs were written.....He has so many that have never seen the light of day apart from occasional fleetings at random gigs that he has performed at....

Personally I find Donovan to be dull and obvious by comparison...

Anyone read "Down The Highway" the new Dylan Biography... It`s really really good.. Best Dylan book ever according to my Dad whose read almost all of them.... I`m currently reading it and it truely is an amazing read....

Down the Highway is great indeed. Just leant it to =ShaunF= last week in actual fact.

Have you got The Bootleg Series Ross? 53 unreleased songs, its outstanding how many great songs that most guys could only dream of writing he can throw away.

Dylans effect on The Beatles is undeniably huge, and vice versa. It seems to me, Bringing It All Back Home is Dylan restoring his childhood faith in rock and roll, which was due to his love of new bands like The Beatles. Also The Beatles' Rubber Soul, when they outgrew the "yeah yeah yeahs" and "woohs" that frequented their early stuff, would certainly not have happened without Dylan.

Probably his greatest achievment was showing the world that rock and roll could have a powerful meaning, and could be taken as a serious artform, not just a bunch of catchy phrases strung together over a 12 bar blues.

Guest Satyam Shivam Sundaram

I do love Dylan... although I only own John Wesley Harding, Blonde On Blonde, Highway 61 Revisited and Bringing It All Back Home.

Guest Electric Tibet

I love John Wesley Harding, especially "Dear Landlord" and have a big 'ol soft spot for Nashville Skyline as well (Lay Lady Lay + I threw it all away + Johnny Cash = WOW).

Of the "other" stuff, Oh Mercy is worthy of a few listens and I agree about Time Out of Mind. I think "Love Sick" is one of Dylan's greatest songs.

But I guess my favourite has to be Highway 61.

Originally posted by Ross:

My favourite song of all time by any artist is "The Lonesome Death Of Hattie Carrol" from Times They Are a Changing....

i really like the varation of that on 'Another Side Of Bob Dylan' it's called 'My Back Pages. i thinks it's great.

Originally posted by Ross:

Anyone read "Down The Highway" the new Dylan Biography... It`s really really good.. Best Dylan book ever according to my Dad whose read almost all of them.... I`m currently reading it and it truely is an amazing read....

really really really good book. no where near finishing it yet. but so far it's be a real pleasure to read. alot of really cool facts and stories.

Originally posted by Electric Tibet:

I love John Wesley Harding, especially "Dear Landlord" and have a big 'ol soft spot for Nashville Skyline as well (Lay Lady Lay + I threw it all away + Johnny Cash = WOW)

i dont have John Wesley Harding yet. but yeh. Nashville Sklyine is such an enjoyable album. sweet in it's own little way i think. even the sadder songs still manage to be up-beat and joyful.

The Bootleg Series are all good also... The Biorgraphy series is good also... Especially on vinyl. I guess I`m fortunate that all I knew from a young age was Bob Dylan and thus it was my pop music as I grew up. Helps that my dad had almost everything on vinyl by dylan until about 1989 when our house was broken into and they took his Dylan vinyl.....

"Heh, they had good taste," was his comment.... how very Dylan.

I`m currently about half way through that Dylan book.

Guest DustyDeviada

Best album's probably Blonde on Blonde.

Favourite for shits and giggles? Has to be Another Side of Bob Dylan... but one of my other favourites is Greatest Hits Volume 2. Kicks off with Watching the River Flow and proceeds with four sides of pure class.

I also have a soft spot for Slow Train Coming. Just picked up Love & Theft in the HMV sale the other day for 4.99. Too early to comment properly, but I like what I've heard so far.

Ross/Shaun F, you guys have some cool stuff in your "listening to" section - fancy a Dylan inspired jam sometime?

Oh, and why has nobody mentioned The Byrds yet? Their version of My Back Pages surpasses the Dylan original in my opinion (controversial, I know).