aberdeen-music

[GIG] Martin Stephenson @ Musa

Graeme

Martin Stephenson

Martin Stephenson is a supremely gifted singer, songwriter, musician and performer, whose career in music stretches back now almost twenty years. Born in County Durham, in the North-East of England, on the 27th. July 1961, Martin was initially fired up to play in a band when the Punk Rock phenomenon went overground in the late 1970's. Then, as now, however, Martin's free spirit incorporated a love for an eclectic range of musical styles, from Rockabilly, show tunes, through to straight ahead rock and full-tilt Punk.

He convened The Daintees in the early 80's, the name deliberately chosen as a response to the humourlessness and angst of much of the music of the time. The Daintees became one of the first bands to sign with the Newcastle-upon-Tyne based independent label, Kitchenware, and their debut single, "Roll On Summertime" was a sparkling, cheerful item that announced the arrival of a considerable new talent.

After Kitchenware packed Martin to London Records, he released the marvellous debut album, "Boat To Bolivia" (1985) with The Daintees, under the Production auspices of future Pixies/Bunnymen/James sound man Gil Norton. The album positively burst with excellent, rootsy pop songs, boasting a veritable rainbow of styles, sung and played with a youthful enthusiasm and warmth that paradoxically, perhaps, displayed a mature, unique Songwriting voice. Songs such as the bittersweet "Crocodile Cryer", the alcoholic's lament "Little Red Bottle", the emphatic "Running Waters" and the haunting ballad "Rain" further underscored the impression that "Roll On Summertime" had made. Lengthy bouts of touring saw Stephenson and the band taking his music to the people, and they loved it, carving an awesome reputation as a live act.

Subsequent albums, "Gladsome, Humour, and Blue" (1987), "Salutation Road" (1989), "The Boy's Heart" (1992) however, failed to distil the essence of Stephenson's muse quite so effectively. London's quest for a hit single ran converse to Stephenson's desire to make a purer, more heartfelt music, although all said albums had their moments.

Martin's instinct to kick against the label's constraints saw him undertake tours of highland Folk clubs and tiny bars.

Martin left London in 1993, and also severed his ties with the Kitchenware management team. He signed to the West London based indie Demon Records, for whom he made three, highly acclaimed albums "Yogi in My House", "Sweet Misdemeanour" (both 1995) and "Beyond the Leap, Beyond The Law" (1997).

Following the sale of Demon in 1998, Martin moved on, releasing "When It's Gone, It's Gone" on the Tyneside-based independent, "Get Rhythm", and during April 1999, released his eponymous album for the Floating World label. The album consists of re-recordings of some of his finest songs, from all stages of his career, free from commercial constraints of the mainstream music industry. Now relocated in the Highlands of Scotland, Martin remains a gifted, but self-effacing, and modest individual. He ploughs his own furrow, still refining his already prodigious musical skills. "The Lilac Tree", a more acoustic-based project that displays further evidence of a maturing talent in its prime.

www.thedaintees.com

20 THINGS YOU NEVER KNEW ABOUT MARTIN

MARTIN'S HAT BELONGED TO JAMES CAGNEY AND CAN BE SEEN IN SEVERAL OF HIS FILMS.

MARTIN HAS A BLUE PETER BADGE, WHICH HE RECEIVED AFTER APPEARING WITH THE WHITLEY BAY HAWAIIAN ORCHESTRA - PLAYING TRIANGLE BACK IN 1971.

MARTIN WAS A REGULAR FOR HARTLEPOOL RESERVES (A TALENTED RIGHT BACK) HE NEVER MADE THE FIRST TEAM.

MARTIN'S FAVOURITE FOOD IS DAIRY LEA CHEESE - ESPECIALLY THE TRIANGLES

MARTIN HAS A BEER MAT FROM EVERY GIG HE HAS PLAYED.

HE ALSO COLLECTS MATCHBOXES (AND WOULD BE GRATEFUL IF YOU GAVE HIM SOME AT GIGS).

EVERYONE KNOWS MARTIN IS A NEWCASTLE FAN, BUT HIS SECOND TEAM IS DYNAMO KIEV AND HE REGULARLY WATCHES VIDEOS SENT FROM HIS RUSSIAN FANS.

MARTIN PLAYS RHYTHM GUITAR ON SHAKIN' STEVENS "GREEN DOOR".

MARTIN WENT TO SCHOOL WITH FELLOW FAMOUS "GEORDIES" STING, JIMMY NAIL AND REBECCA OUT OF CORONATION STREET.

MARTIN HAS BEEN AN EXTRA IN SEVERAL EPISODES OF "THE BILL".

MARTIN IS AN ACTIVE MEMBER OF HIS LOCAL VENTURE SCOUTS; HE IS CURRENTLY DOING HIS SILVER DUKE OF EDINBURGH AWARD.

MARTIN ALWAYS CHOSE THE ARCHED WINDOW ON BBC'S PLAY SCHOOL.

MARTINS FIRST TRUE CRUSH WAS ON CRYSTAL TIPS OUT OF CRYSTAL TIPS AND ALASTAIR.

MARTIN'S FIRST GUITAR WAS A SWAP FOR HIS CHOPPER BIKE.

MARTIN REFUSED A PLACE AT KING'S COLLEGE, CAMBRIDGE, TO CONCENTRATE ON HIS MUSICAL CAREER.

MARTIN IS CURRENTLY WRITING THE DEFINITIVE HISTORY OF AMERICAN PLECTRUMS. TENTATIVELY ENTITLED, "PLECTRUMS I HAVE KNOWN AND PLUCKED".

MARTIN IS A KEEN APIARIST, (BEEKEEPER).

IRONICALLY, MARTIN MET "GYPSY DAVE SMITH" ON A CARAVAN HOLIDAY IN HEXHAM.

MARTIN REFUSED TO WRITE MIDDLESBOROUGH'S CUP FINAL SONG, BECAUSE OF HIS ALLEGIANCE TO NEWCASTLE UNITED F.C.

ALL MARTIN'S PETS ARE NAMED AFTER FAMOUS GUITAR PLAYERS, INCLUDING HENDRIX THE HAMSTER, RORY THE RAT AND WOODY THE STICK INSECT

I'm sure I have, but I was possibly too drunk for you to remember...

Martin has long been a hero of mine and The Lorelei's. We played with him a few times back in the day, and he's been a total inspiration. One of the nicest and most genuine people you'll ever meet.

i'll second that, martin was the first person i ever interviewed on the radio!

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...