aberdeen-music

john peel day snafu_uncle john and whitelock/infinte lives /a la fu!12thOCT

Hey peeps,

In keeping with the rest of the countries John Peel activities of that day, DJ A la Fu has organised a John Peel tribute for thursday night to take place at the usual Dirty Hearts Club @ Snafu.

Line up includes;

Uncle John and Whitelock

Infinite Lives

DJ a la Fu (live set)

DHC DJS

Uncle John and Whitelock (from Last FM website)

THE Absurd Uncle John and Whitelock in Black and White" was how they once titled one of their art-blues happenings, the one in question being conducted at the ICA in London. Appropriately enough, this near sold-out first gig of the year on home turf was a chance for the quintet to get some practice in before a return visit to the capital venue this week as special guests of Mogwai. Yet it also let their audience reacquaint themselves with just how absurd yet wonderful an idea this band really are.

Advert for The Scotsman Digital Archive

The five-piece present themselves as utterly contemporary. Yet to hear them play live is to have your preconceptions knocked, as they conjure up an evocative set of swamp rock that shouldn't conceivably originate on this side of the Atlantic.

Using just bass, drums, keyboards and a pair of guitars, the music is a blend of bayou creepiness reminiscent of early Dr John and a sombre David Lynch atmosphere. The band's originators, the titular Uncle John and Whitelock - aka vocalist and guitarist Jacob Lovatt and bassist Raydale Dower - arguably lend most of this atmosphere, with Lovatt in particular offering a grizzled vocal which places him with such rough-diamond heroes as Dr John, Tom Waits and Nick Cave.

Elsewhere, Dower's bass and drummer Matthew Black's playing undoubtedly contribute the heart of the band's musical appeal.

While the shimmering guitars and keyboard which punctuate each song alongside Lovatt's spoken-word growls add wonderful effect, it's when Dower, holding his guitar at almost a vertical angle, and Black rouse a firm beat from their instruments that their otherwise interesting songs become truly exciting. An oddly must-see experience.

INFINITE LIVES

so hard to describe

off the wall?/ avant garde?/ storytelling? / rap?

all of the above?

DJ A LA FU

doing a live set of his own material which should prove a must see

Price 5

Tickets available here :

http://www.ticketweb.co.uk/user/?region=gb_scotland&query=calendar&venue=snafuclub

This night will be followed by a DJ set of peel flavoured music from the DHC DJs and A lA fu as well as other guests.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

This night is surely a must see!

pretty rare for infinite livez to play and Uncle John and Whitelock seem on the up and up so could be a rare chance to see them in a small venue! Plus Kenny's (A LA Fu) live and Dj set will be worth catching to cap it all off! Fair play to A La Fu for booking these bands and putting a Peel night on in Aberdeen too as otherwise there wouldnt have been anything in the city for the great man himself.

Whos up fo it?

x

Next Week at DHC : People Under the Stairs / Giant Panda

id guess at

10.30pm - Al La Fu

11.15pm - Infinite Livez

Midnight - Unvle John and Whitelock

However, theyre rough, not approx.The times go by how long the quiz takes to finish (usually bout 10.15pm).

It may run later with Uncle John on around 12.30am.Best thing to do is go down and see!Especially if your going out anyway you mad drunkard!just kidding!

Im gutted, I m an idiot and forgot I had the Rapture in Edinburgh tonight and will miss all the fun at Snafu!

have fun peeps

Infinite Livez was amazing - everything that Kool Keith should have been, but wasn't, at Triptych. Surreal, flash but geeky at the same time - innovative tracks that were at times cacophonous and other times instantly catchy, and most of all funny - dedictating a song called Zombie Lover to "anyone who's fucked a Zombie" then doning a Zombie mask and grabbing a male member of the audience whilst making Zombie "love" noises isn't your average Hip Hop act. To even have a song call "The Lactating Man" has got to be better than "Pish".

And that's before I get to the fact that his DJ, DJ Dinosaur, wore a dinosaur costume so bad that it made Barney look cool and menacing. Superb, one of the best shows I've seen this year - a modern day Screaming Jay Hawkins.

Infinite Livez was amazing - everything that Kool Keith should have been, but wasn't, at Triptych. Surreal, flash but geeky at the same time - innovative tracks that were at times cacophonous and other times instantly catchy, and most of all funny - dedictating a song called Zombie Lover to "anyone who's fucked a Zombie" then doning a Zombie mask and grabbing a male member of the audience whilst making Zombie "love" noises isn't your average Hip Hop act. To even have a song call "The Lactating Man" has got to be better than "Pish".

And that's before I get to the fact that his DJ, DJ Dinosaur, wore a dinosaur costume so bad that it made Barney look cool and menacing. Superb, one of the best shows I've seen this year - a modern day Screaming Jay Hawkins.

It did make me laugh when he introduced the zombie song. I didn't really catch the lyrical content. He spoke too fast so it was lost on me! Essentially I don't like hip-hop or rap or whatever it was. He could well be the greatest artist of his genre.