aberdeen-music

Donside Compilation

Comptroller

Donside Records' 4th release, 'Compilation Ultra', is due for release on Wednesday 14th April!

With 15 tracks of the finest new lo-fi, hi-fi, surfed-up, punked-out, shit-me-up blast funk available, this CD is literally real!

'Compilation Ultra' features some of Aberdeen's most exciting new acts (King Liar & the Brutes, Vomitus, Broken Sunshine, Diuretics) as well as out-of-towners like Shark Smell Blood & Progerian Front.

Please enjoy! Available at a discounted rate at the release party (Dr Drakes, 14th April, see Gigs & Events Forum for more details) or 5 from One Up.

Doesn't the CD also contain destructo-core trio The Beast Wing? Performing live with a one-stringed bass, an over-wrought drummer and a sex-accountant for a singer?

I thought as much.

But seriously, this CD can be yours and yours alone. Your individual copy that is. Other people will have their own copies. They won't be yours. Unless your friend has one and maybe lends it to you for a while.

I don't know what and/or who Beast Wing are but they sound pretty shit-hot like they're from the big league (London?). As for the launch party at Drake's I can hardly contain myself - it's just a pity that Progerian Front were unavailable to play due to ill health.

Also, I was talking to (Donside owner) Bruce Gatsby last night in The Glentanar and he said that every copy of this new compilation CD will be international standard and that the pre-orders alone are already enough to guarantee it will be Donside's biggest ever venture.

Well done Bruce and all at Donside!

Look. I sought reassurance on Beast Wing and word on Donside is that they are healthy young men who are merely enjoying the power and beauty that youth bestows in the best way they know how. Society and strangers judge them: we musicians cannot. Also they are clearly playing for their sanity or lives - these kids are to King Liar and the Brutes what the Pistols were to The Clash. Vital.

I'm just impressed that all those days spent in the high-tec, Donside-sponsored studios trying to counteract the digital recording equipment (which we serious bands use) was a success. Indeed, it sounds as if most of the more low-fi tracks were recorded in a car park onto a dictaphone. In fact that is analytically placed faux-fuzz intended to give a sound as raw as our heart wounds. If you heard the original, crisp and overprodced rubbish which some of the bands involved originally handed in you would think that we did not care about music anymore. Which we do. We love it. And you.

Fuzz and a constant high pitched background trilling of inappropriate recording equipment is the noise of the future. Death to everything that doesn't sound as if it's been recorded through dirty air via a barely functioning Talk-boy onto a wax cylinder by a murderous degenerate working for the Romanian State Phonographic institute circa 1954.

WE HAVE THE POWER AND THE GLORY GENTLEMEN.