aberdeen-music

producers?

Dan G

Sorry, but I've always thought that "Master of Puppets" had the best production of any 'Tallica record. All heavy metal albums should have been produced by Flemming Rassmussen. "St. Anger" is one of the most shockingly bad sounding alt CDs in recent times, and if I was Hetfield, I'd be breaking out the Remington and shooting Bob Rock in the kneecap. Several times. Despite many attemts (and I'm being totally honest, here), I cannot listen past track 1 on "St. Anger". I saw them 5 rows back at Donnington last year durning Download, and I thought the new stuff sat with the older-era stuff well. I was devastated when I heard the recorded version... They probably spent millions on trying to give it an old-era sound, and instead got something that sounds like it's been recorded in a cavern 200 yards from the drumkit. And the guitar sound is pissy and weak. AND they have one of the worlds most talented guitar soloists, and they don't let him do his thing. I think Jason Newstead left because of this draconian rule that Hetfield/Ulrich have, and I absolutely LOVE the last Voivod record he played on. Direct your firepower this way, if you think you can. To me, anyone who defends "St. Anger" is plainly deaf, or has never heard any other Metallica releases.

Originally posted by Rob Karloff:

Lots of writing...

I woudla gree St Anger isn't the most well produced Metallica album though I do believe it has a charm <for lack of a better word> all of its own. Master of Puppets is a great album but I think the black album wins on production sound and mixing etc etc. Listening to the Black Album on a nice set of loud speakers is amazing, I can't listen to it on ear phones any more...it is a crime to do that. Sounds great on studio head phones too.

Originally posted by Ben Quik:

*points to door*

Are you disagreeing with him? I am going to. Have you not heard the drums on the Black Album and the other Albums Bob Rock has done. Making a snare sound different from the norm doesn't make it crap it just makes it different...heard the snare in the choruses of Sleep Now In The Fire...almost the same though I am sure it is because the snare has been turned off on the Rage track...

Guest highroller

I was totally disagreeing with him.....apart from st anger, lars always has an awesome snare sound...especially on the later stuff...bob rock era!

Guest Scorge Spike

Will someone please prescribe a hearing aid for McTavish?...........

The sound of me taking a dump is more appealing on the ear than any of the snare sounds Metallica have used with Rock at the control. He's utterly uselss for all the resons Rob put so much more eloquently than I can be bothered with.

The actual thread in question - a lot of the best records are produced either by a) eccentric drug addicts, or b) tight soundsmiths who work in tandem with the band.