aberdeen-music

Sanctuary rock metal goth night

HAREMSCARY

Is there something every Saturday along the heavy rock or alternative electronic vein? i.e if i turn up on a Saturday not mentioned above will I end up in a dance night or will be it closed?

This is quite confusing. I don't usually decide where exactly I am going until I am town and it often changes later in the night. If someone produced a comprehensive list of club nights at the metro' date=' it might help people like me choose where/when to go.

I reckon these sorts of club nights could get a lot more people with some publicity. I probably would have been to a Sanctuary rock night if I had heard of it, before it hapepned. This could possibly be something to promote at freshers week if they are going to be started again (which I have seen no mention of). A lot of people I have spoken to feel there is nowhere to go in terms of clubs for this sort of thing.[/quote']

It is quite confusing at the moment because there was going to be metal every Friday & every second Saturday - with Elizium and Xenophon (which can loosely be described as alternative / electronic nights ) on the other two Saturdays.

With the metal nights having stopped, there is a bit of uncertainty as to what will fill their place, but I'm suspecting it will probably be DJ type nights.

I can't speak for Elizium, but for Xenophon I have posters all over town, post about it wherever I can online, and also give out flyers. If you can think of any further ways of getting people to know about it,then please let me know & I'll do it straight away. I think it's a very unique night for Aberdeen and I really want people to know about it. I can't make any announcements about September yet though, because I finance it myself, and whether I can afford to do one depends very much upon the success of this one. The July Xenophon had a good turnout though, so I'm feeling optimistic.

I guess you know about it now, so that's a start :D

ps: Freshers week is indeed a good time to do promotion - I've done flyering for Xenophon & Obedience School at the last few Freshers Fairs, although it seems that each year there are less and less Freshers who look as if they would be interested in anything non-mainstream. You can't judge a book by it's cover though, so it's worth persevering.

Thanks. I will probably give one of these nights a visit within the next couple of weeks.

I am not sure how to promote such an event. I think knowing lots of people is probably your main virtue when starting it off.

Also on the mainstream issue. I think you will find that a lot of people find the alternative crowd a lot more friendly than the crowd in dance clubs. I know people who go to the likes of Moshulu and The Moorings who are not into rock music, but find the crowd more pleasant and friendly. This however is not always the case.

Is my suggestion that you try promoting your club nights to people who aren't into the music? no but i think you will find some people will come along anyway out of curiosity when they hear of this. Some will return.

Thanks. I will probably give one of these nights a visit within the next couple of weeks.

I am not sure how to promote such an event. I think knowing lots of people is probably your main virtue when starting it off.

Also on the mainstream issue. I think you will find that a lot of people find the alternative crowd a lot more friendly than the crowd in dance clubs. I know people who go to the likes of Moshulu and The Moorings who are not into rock music' date=' but find the crowd more pleasant and friendly. This however is not always the case.

Is my suggestion that you try promoting your club nights to people who aren't into the music? no but i think you will find some people will come along anyway out of curiosity when they hear of this. Some will return.[/quote']

Thank you for your thoughts and comments, they are very much appreciated. I guess I'm lucky in that I do know lots of people, and that was probably a large factor in getting over 120 people to the last Xenophon. I definitely agree with you about the alternative crowd being generally more friendly ... the only places I really enjoy going in Aberdeen are Moshulu, The Moorings and The Bassment.

My big concern about promoting Xenophon to people who aren't in into the music is that I don't want the people who currently go to be hassled by a bunch of louts because of what they're wearing etc. There's currently a great atmosphere amongst the people who go, and perhaps the best way is for that to spread by word of mouth amongst those who are into that kind of thing.

Anyway - I'm guessing that there will probably be an Elizium in September, and there will possibly be a Xenophon, but the only one that's definitely confirmed at the moment is Xenophon on Saturday 19th August - so if you're curious, then I'll maybe see you there.