aberdeen-music

Bass player required for Symphonic Metal band

HairyScaryMark

We should be ready to gig within 2 months. We have over 40 minutes of music written for 3 musicians, our drummer is also catching up quickly. We have found the most effective writing method for us is to write without the drummer, then add him later. We usually spend a few hours getting the basis of each song in a rehearsal room, we then spend quite a lot of time perfecting it and eventually add backing harmonies

Sound Like

Different songs could be described under different sub-genres which makes it hard to give it a style. In my opinion, 'symphonic metal' is probably the best label we can give our music, although I am sure other people will think differently......Sometimes the band sounds power metal and other times reminds people of 'gothic' and 'symphonic' rock bands such as Within Temptation and Nightwish. The vocals sometimes get compared with HIM (low, melodic, usually quite slow). There is also a horror film theme which is particularly prominent in some songs, this often leads the keyboard playing to get compared with Cradle of Filth. Chris has also described it as slowed-down power metal with low melodic singing. There is at least one solo in every song so far and there will be some trade-off solos between keyboard and guitar. I would also like to see some bass solos, possibly even as part of a trade off.

Our song lengths vary between 4 - 8 mintues. Mostly nearer 8 minutes.

Influences

Varies between members, although our meeting point are probably System of a Down, Nightwish, HIM ,Symphony X, Dream Theater, Iron Maiden, Within Temptation, Avenged Sevenfold, Gamma Ray, The Doors, Yes ... also epic filmscore music such as Lord of The Rings soundtrack.

Lineup is as follows:

Mark Chalmers - keyboard, guitar and backing vocals (there is keyboard playing in every song and is a large part of the music)

John Williamson - guitar and backing vocals

Chris Moore - Vocals and occasional guitar part.

Chris Cowie - Drums

Requirements (out of date) must be able to make a practice on Wednesday at around 8pm till 10pm in Westhill, every week for the next few months. Formal music training preferred although not essential. Bass amp can be provided a bass guitar could also potentially be provided.

We are definitely not an amateur sounding band, we are ambitious and plan to gig outside of Aberdeen, even in early gigging days. We all are competent musicians. I have formal music training from private lessons and also have done the Aberdeen College Access to Music Degree course with future ambitions to study at degree level and beyond.. Chris Cowie (our drummer) and John (our guitarist) have also had private instrumental lessons..

We plan to record a CD shortly after we start gigging.

We have high quality monitoring setup and have been using headphone amplifiers for the last few weeks, with a separate monitor mix, each.

If you wish to audition, reply to this thread, send me a personal message or email to mark@mark-chalmers.com

• 2 months later...

It looks like we will quite possibly record our first demo (largely to get gigs with) with our current bass player. The problem is he is going to leave to Edinburgh or Glasgow soon. It is still very important for us to find a long term replacement.

I had the phone number of a 2 possible replacements in my mobile phone (which I recently lost).

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Soundefex: I was about to post on your thread but you appear to have beaten me to it.

Deffinately would be intereted in trying you out as bass player. add me on an instant messenger or send me an email. All such information is in my profile on this site.

Your musical background sounds interesting.

freddiesoffspring: also try you out sometime and the same applies as I wrote above.

John (the other guitar player) is currently in Paris so I can't say for sure when the next practice will be. Probably either, Tuesday, Thusday or the following Tuesday. Can be negotiated however.

Good to have a bass player to audition for then.

Guest Jake Wifebeater
I used to be in band called Serenade from Glasgow.

I remember you lot, saw you twice in Glasgow, still have a couple of Serenade tapes kicking around.

"Severed breeeeeeeaaaaaaaath!"

• 2 weeks later...

I'm a guitarist and bassist. I have my own bass and would be willing to play. I love metal, prog rock and all round experimental stuff. I'm from Frasebrugrh but would be willing to go to Aberdeen to rehearse as long as we arranged a suitable time. Dunno if you are interested but heres the page:

http://www.aberdeen-music.com/forums/showthread.php?p=564032#post564032

Cheers