aberdeen-music

SCSI DAt Drives

Stray Cat

Short answer...nope!

There was a particular model of SGI computer of which its dat drive could, with the use of some driver someone wrote, read audio data of a standard DAT tape. Of course, DAT tapes are only stereo so you'd be limited with having stereo masters only and not individual tracks to mix. SCSI dat drives are strictly for data, and with the slow speeds of these drives, I wouldn't waste any money on them. Far quicker with DVDR if the studio supports this ;)

Depending on which studio you want to visit depends on what way you can get the tracks home...I remember captain toms saying they did DAT backups before...I'd imagine this is a raw audible data dump which I'm guessing only the D160 would understand (a bit like why you couldn't play you spectrum tapes on a C64)...it's not an actual file dump of the individual wav files.

Most other places are using some flavour of DAW which would be easiest enough to just get the WAV files burned to DVDR or CDR's depending on the project size.

If the studio has ADAT, an ADAT machine can be found for quite cheap these days (just spied one going for £90 on ebay but i suspect thats a fluke). A lot of digital recorders (sure the cap toms D160 is included) have ADAT in outs, so you could make a digital copy to an ADAT of the individual tracks, then "lightpipe" it to your PC via an ADAT sound card (can be found for around £70 for standard no frills ADAT I/O card). If theres more than 8 tracks then you'll need some way of keeping the tracks in sync. I find the easiest way to do this is to slate the start of all tracks on your original recorder with a few quick sine tones or something so you can zoom in and line up all the tracks exactly in your DAW.

What studio you looking at?

I didn't really have a particular studio in mind to be honest. I'm just trying to find a way that I can record live and do pretty much whatever I want - Whether may it be adding tracks, deleting dodgy tracks and re-doing them or even just messing about with different effects. The kind of things you think about after you've finished a demo and you take it home, listen to it and think "Man that doesn't quite sound right" or "I wish I did this or that".

From which studios in Aberdeen can you get the WAV files? I'd be willing to provide as many dvd-rs as it would take just so I had the option of editing etc.

The Foyer I believe have an ADAT HD24, which means, if they have the firewire adaptor, they'll be able to import the wav files into the PC and you can burn CD's/DVD's from there. You'd have to ask them what they have, they've never answered any of my emails regarding setup. If they don't have the firewire adaptor they can still transfer the audio to the PC, but this is done of a 10mbps ethernet connection (as opposed to 480mbs firewire) so yeah it will be about 48 times slower!

Theres a place called Floortom out the road who look pretty good who record into Cubase so it must be simple enough to make a backup of the project there.

Musical Vision seemingly do recording, know nothing about them.

Other than that, i don't know whats it the immediate vicinity.