aberdeen-music

Hip-hoppers...

Wax

Wow New Kingdom' date=' a blast from the past. Unicorns Were Horses was pretty good from what I recall. I don't think they are still on the go though.

[/quote']

New Kingdom have reformed, apparently.

Their gig in the Lemon Tree in 1994 (and on top of a transit van in the car park when the place was evacuated for a fire alarm) is still one of my favourites ever.

it would just be nice to see some fresh acts, as long as people show up.

Tried it, Isho. You can be my witness to that! I don't think I have seen a bad performance for anyone we've brought up for Wax, but it's a shame that the likes of Rob Swift of the X-Ecutioners and Rodney P don't appeal to the Aberdeen public. We were hoping when we started Wax that it would be a quality stamp on anyone we brought up, but clearly hasn't worked out that way.

Here's the odd thing: Back in April, when DJ Q-Bert and Roots Manuva were in Aberdeen on a WEDNESDAY night, over 850 people were at these gigs.

Never seen them since!

Pretty soon we'll have to resort to doing what almost every other club promoter in Aberdeen is doing, and that's having 4 or 5 acts on rotation. Here's the future line-up of WAX:

February: DJ Q-BERT

March: FINGATHING

April: ROOTS MANUVA

May: DJ Q-BERT

September: FINGATHING

October: ROOTS MANUVA

*Repeat said formula for 4 more years.

General public won't notice a thing! No disrespect to anyone, but the Aberdeen club scene basically consists of Dave Clark, Lisa Lashes and Lisa Pin-Up every other month. I don't blame the promoters, they can obviously sell the same product 2 or 3 times a year and people will still choose a safe bet over seeing someone new.

Pretty soon I'll have irreversible mental scars and the cynical attitude that you develop when promoting in Aberdeen for too long (think I might already have it). Woe is me...