aberdeen-music

wanted 4 track.

POISON

If you are just looking to record ideas down you can get something for your PC for free <I got CakeWalk Guitar Tracks from a friend, you can also programme drums on it> that allows you to use many more tracks. You'd just need an adaptor to make a guitar lead fit into the smaller connector on your sound card. Alot also allow you to add effects or edit the clips in many ways. I am sure there was a recording special in total guitar or guitarist the came with a free program.

www.gak.co.uk have multi-track recorders. The cheapest will be a tape based 4 track for about 70, I don't recommend this. I had one for a while and the recording quality wasn't great and after a while it was unusable. Cheap digital ones are also not that good as they have minimal storage.

being an old fashioned kind of bloke, i'd recommend using a four track to put down basic ideas, i've got a fostex XR5 which i use with an alessis reverb unit and the quality is pretty good for a basic set up but naturally there's all kind of programs on the net now. i like the 'earthy' feel you get from a four track.

e bay would be your best bet, but i would recommend a fostex.

Originally posted by delboy:

being an old fashioned kind of bloke, i'd recommend using a four track to put down basic ideas, i've got a fostex XR5 which i use with an alessis reverb unit and the quality is pretty good for a basic set up but naturally there's all kind of programs on the net now. i like the 'earthy' feel you get from a four track.

e bay would be your best bet, but i would recommend a fostex.

They certainly are good for getting ideas down quickly with minimum set up. But then with a PC at least you have the option of being able to produce a proffesional quality piece aswell. Guess it depends on your requirements. Certainly if it's jsut for ideas go with a four track.

4 tracks are also well handy as inputs for PCs so hang onto them. I didn't and I seriously regret it now. Sob. ;(

I agree with Tav that PCs allow for excellent production values even on a basic demo, but the time it takes to load and mix these tracks together sometimes outweigh the lofi cons of a basic 4 track. Hell, I still use a portable tape recorder on occasion to get demos down.

Remember you can also hire 4 or 8 tracks from the central library for a pittance.

Originally posted by ghost:

4 tracks are also well handy as inputs for PCs so hang onto them. I didn't and I seriously regret it now. Sob. ;(

I agree with Tav that PCs allow for excellent production values even on a basic demo

One of the main benifits is that with some time and the right additions you can potential record something to be near/equal to professionally recorded CDs.