aberdeen-music

"FEAR STALKS THE CITY" - our new EP is now available - buy it before stocks sell out!

The Ghost Of Fudge

• 1 month later...

dave sidca's INSECT ROCK website has this to say about FEAR STALKS THE CITY:

http://www.livingtonerecordings.com/insectrockIII.htm

Deadloss Superstar Fear Stalks the City●●●●● ITR cdr

High camp stoner rock and roll hybrid that boggles the brain

Fuck me this is a thorough shock to the system, this cd is actually good, to be honest my experiences of Deadloss have been limited to a couple of live shows that I have caught- they do that whole rock “thing”, brutish manly posturing, songs about chicks - the whole shebang. On record though and away from the hellish racket they make live what kicks in is the fact they can write a tune, cane it to fuck like, but a tune none the less. Hold on a minute I’ll just turn off Nick Cave and play this cd while I scribble min, that allways helps….

Right that’s better, opening track “feels like the bomb” manages to combine sludgy harmonics and driving bass with elements of Billy Idol. I know that sounds really shite, but its not. This song sounds indeed like the bomb, allthough I would prefer it if it was called feels like the bong, but I’m a childish dick. Totally rabid, like the first Clutch LP. Doink.

“Caroline’s eyes” is similarly dirty in its grind, a big speaker busting riff that bends both time and space. It begins like this “goooooooo fuckkkkk yer seeeellllf”, which is worth its weight in Asda vouchers alone. Brian’s vocals on this tune veer from gravelly roar to strangely pleasing yelps of glee. Stonking. This song is so good they recorded it twice.

“Kill before you’re killed” has a really demented catchy chorus. The other day I was wandering round the car park at work trying to figure out if it was a Monday or a Friday and found myself mumbling the chorus to myself………..the song also ends on a scream of primal rage or primordial piss taking, either or it’s a top tune.

“DNR”, is an acoustic ballad, with swearing. It would sound better with Mark Lanegan singing it, but that goes with just about everything recorded by anybody so Deadloss do well on this one.

The next two tracks I usually skip, so this review will too.

“Wall of skin” is like Iron Maiden having a fight with Rage against the machine with the Cult calling time.

Then I skip two more, plain purl.

The second version of “caz’s een” is fucking great, same song but elevated to the heights of bloody good by saxophone, absolutely calling out in no uncertain terms for a seven inch single release, its that good Jim-bob.

All in all a top cd.

http://www.myspace.com/deadlosssuperstar

www.deadlosssuperstar.co.uk

(currently fucked, which is a shame because some of the videos on the site are works of genius)