aberdeen-music

Looking for an Alesis ADAT

threeornothing

Cool! I don't have much money although my missus might help out with cash as its my birthday soon. But as Ian has said, ADAT's suck :), so everyone should be looking at getting rid of them for cheap!! (thats my theory anyway!)

I don't know whether they suck or not, I just need a reliable multitracker which I can chuck in the back of a car and fire up and record without arsing about with dodgy soundcards, latency, setting up project folders, defragmenting disks, blah blah.....PC's are not productive and logistically a nightmare when you just want a quick recording which you can take home and transfer to PC there, then waste your time arsing about with the above!! :) I was considering a Tascam 38 but the adat wins for portability....

I don't know whether they suck or not' date=' I just need a [b']reliable multitracker ....

That's the problem with ADATs, they're not reliable. All the studios I know that have used them had to buy an extra one, because at any given time there's always one away getting repaired.

A hard disk recorder would be your best bet for portability coupled with reliability.

I'm just a retro freak....the Adats always looked so cool when I was a young kid reading Making Music (remember that freebie?) I had a fostex x15 which was a piece of fucking shit, but a start on my upgrade from chained tape decks...I just wanna play with an ADAT they look cool....it costs pennies for a ADAT PCI card these days so moving to cubase is easy....and the less fucking about with a mouse and more twiddling of knobs I can do (ooh err) the better :)

I might even stretch to 150....ones on ebay aren't going for much more than that...but nobodies shipping them!

• 2 weeks later...