aberdeen-music

annuncement

Guest pop-notmyface

it needs a teaser campaign because this "shitty local band" was one of the few who had a lasting influence on the scene. great songs never die you know.

and go tell all those kids who are still getting into Nirvana (or any other disbanded group) how pointless their endevour is.

i'll see if the site can be uploaded tonight' date=' i'm still fighting those bloody technical problems.

PS: it is more than a website.[/quote']

You didn't quite catch on to that one, did you?

it needs a teaser campaign because this "shitty local band" was one of the few who had a lasting influence on the scene. great songs never die you know.

and go tell all those kids who are still getting into Nirvana (or any other disbanded group) how pointless their endevour is.

i'll see if the site can be uploaded tonight' date=' i'm still fighting those bloody technical problems.

PS: it is more than a website.[/quote']

We need not romanticize things here, especially all this talk of the band having "...a lasting influence on the scene." Sure enough, the band did break down that elusive myth between 'ordinary people' and 'rockstars': the amount of kids in Aberdeen who were inspired to pick-up a guitar upon the realisation that, on the sixth day, God did not say:

"Let us make rockstars in my image; let them have dominion over all lesser man."

That we do have that to be thankful for - and it is rare for me to walk into a local gig, where the band onstage are not aping the blueprint that Liber8/Alyssa's Wish had made their own years beforehand. But a lasting influence? Steady on, mate.

I hear tell that this "shitty local band" could have done quite well with the right management....!

I heard that they did in fact have management. It was just unfortunate that their most important breaks always came during the festive period, when funnily enough, management was nowhere to be seen... although, rumour has it that children often made claims of seeing a man resembling Alyssa's Wish's managment figure, climbing down chimneys in a red suit.

Edgar Prais. (Great songs never die!)

Guest pop-notmyface

fair point.

it just means a lot more to me. and by the look and sound of this scene, they are still very much relevant, hence the site.

or can you think of any other disbanded local band that would be "worthy" of a tribute site?

Erm' date=' aren't you contradicting yourself there.[/quote']

If I was at all serious in my reply, then I certainly would have been; just as I would be contradicting myself in saying for him not to romanticize things, and then continue with all the elaborate nonsense I wrote afterwards. I was simply taking the piss.

Anyway, on another note: were you not asking a question? - That'll require a question mark then... ho ho.

Edgar Prais.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest tv tanned

Forgive me for joining this jolly discourse late.

I do believe that comparing Liber8 to Nirvana, as you did, rather undermined your argument ten-fold.

That said, a lot of people liked Liber8/Alyssa's Wish. Never really my cup of tea, and they seemed to get ideas above their station as well, although never quite reaching the megalomaniacal proportions of MMW (joking, before jamesy tries to eat my pets)

That said, there's nothing wrong with launching a site dedicated to them, but to launch a half-baked teaser campaign, and then fail to get things of the grounds for months is a rather spectacular muck-up.

Guest pop-notmyface
Forgive me for joining this jolly discourse late.

I do believe that comparing Liber8 to Nirvana' date=' as you did, rather undermined your argument ten-fold.

That said, a lot of people liked Liber8/Alyssa's Wish. Never really my cup of tea, and they seemed to get ideas above their station as well, although never quite reaching the megalomaniacal proportions of MMW (joking, before jamesy tries to eat my pets)

That said, there's nothing wrong with launching a site dedicated to them, but to launch a half-baked teaser campaign, and then fail to get things of the grounds for months is a rather spectacular muck-up.[/quote']

well, yes, there is quite a Nirvana (and Silverchair to some extend) comparison, but they just did it a bit differently, and then local bands did what Liber8 did (in my opinion). but i guess most three-piece bands have a comparison that can be traced back to Nirvana or Jimi Hendrix Experience even. though Nirvana did more for alternative artists these days.

why Liber8 or Alyssa's Wish never reached their full potential is a bit of a mystery to me, in fact, the whole band is a mystery and here i am trying to figure it out.

i guess MMW are more doing what is cool right now (no offense meant because i like the earlier songs when it seemed they were going to head into a different direction to the one they are on now) and hence are more popular.

yeah, i guess that is supposed to happen when one wants to put up their first webpage...

Guest tv tanned
Do you really think so? In what way?

You and I went over this before a while back as I recall, and the basic conclusion was that we disagreed with each other.

I'm not wanting to retread the arguments again if it's all the same.

Guest tv tanned

Perhaps I worded it poorly, rather than ideas above their station perhaps I was meaning that it seemed that they began to believe the hype that some of their fans generated. That was just my take on things.

Perhaps I worded it poorly' date=' rather than ideas above their station perhaps I was meaning that it seemed that they began to believe the hype that some of their fans generated. That was just my take on things.[/quote']

Oh yeah....and you still use the term they when in fact its your opinion of a single member of the band that clouds their memory....may they rest in peace.... :band: