aberdeen-music

Sal - Demo

ghost

I was handed this CD almost exactly a year ago by fellow 'Big Break' acoustic finalists SAL, fresh from an acclaimed performance at the Celtic Connections festival. It kept me upbeat and awake during the long drive north with the rest of the Beakers and made the drifting snow seem rather unreal. This is definitely a summer CD, just right for playing while relaxing next to the pool or as background music to your family barbecue. Sparse arrangements and crisp unaffected vocals could fool you into believing this to be a collection of simple songs - nothing could be further from the truth. Featuring guitar licks John Martyn or Bert Jansch would be proud of, teamed with sweet powerful vocals that remind me of Nick Drake with more balls, this is an amateur CD that has to be heard to be believed. Fans of saccharine US teen show Dawson's Creek will love the "last dance of the prom" emotions evoked by 'Picture Postcard', while commuters will find themselves smiling out into bleak grey days as they drum their steering wheel to the guitar mute percussion on 'Nothing Left To Lose'. The payload comes with 'Sunshine Morning Smile' - lovely harmonies, Martyn style guitar and summer by the bucket load. It really is a song to eat breakfast to, while sitting on the balcony of your Parisian hotel of course.