aberdeen-music

Marie Thain - First Cut EP

ghost

Kai's right, it was getting pretty dead in here. I'm working on a couple of new local reviews which I'll post here soon, but in the meantime here's some recent ones to dissect and disagree with.

Released in late 2002, Marie Thain's first recording - the aptly titled "First Cut EP" - is a fine example of how home-recorded albums are quickly gaining on those produced by multi-million-demanding producers. From the mellow yet catchy 'Take A Look At Your Life' it's instantly obvious to the listener that this lass can sing. 'Don't Throw It All Away' keeps it upbeat and the only quibble I can find is the rather irksome computer click track that detracts from the complex guitar layers during the chorus (usually percussion is provided by very smooth tabla patterns). 'How Easily' is a battle against the sands of time set against slightly sleazy instrumentation and containing a great gospel harmony ending. 'Angel Child' hints at a Fleetwood Mac influence and Marie's voice is at its best. The chorus refrain "go to sleep" is the real hook here. 'Destination Unknown' is rockier than the rest of the tracks on this EP with hints of classic Neil Young a welcome surprise - the solo could well have been throttled out by the man himself. Final track 'You Make My Soul Fly' is stark, dry and very very pleasant to listen to. Again Marie's vocals are at their best, the (self) harmonies are tight and the sparse guitar still manages to tug at your emotions. Yup this track gave me goose bumps. Beautiful.

This six track EP is perfect for languid days spent in the garden. The recording is spacious, the guitar nicely settled behind the layers of vocals. The high point for me is the final track 'You Make My Soul Fly', but the Neil Young vibe of 'Destination Unknown' is a worthy runner-up and proves that Marie isn't confined to the folk genre and Joan Baez/Joni Mitchell-esque arrangements. Go seek it out!

Available from http://www.icebergmusic.co.uk or One Up Records, Aberdeen.

Baz informs me that the horrible computerised drum beat was in the first mix (masters were not available) was recorded in a different studio, and later removed as much as possible. The rest of the demo was recorded in a front room with a very critical producer at the helm. Shows that patience delivers good results.