aberdeen-music

damien hirst

Stripey

I went to the art gallery for the first time in a while, and was pleasantly surprised to see that they have actually finally aquired some new works. Perhaps the most noticable one on walking in the door is this one by damien hirst:

_40097925_jesus_300.jpg

What do you think about stuff like this, and Hirst in general? Is it childish contrived and "too obvious" or is the man a genius?

My favourite new thing at the gallery is a japanese anime style illustration on the wall next to the shop.

Damien Hurst.......hmmmmmmmm

I think that what damien hurst was originally doing was very different from what was around at the time and that was what made him such a revolutionary artist at that time. What he created started to get him talked about because it was so extreme and thats what has to be done to make it in the modern art scee at the moment. I think that now Hirst is just playing on what he has done before and it isnt fresh anymor and as you say a bit contrived. Not really loving it that much.

As for the anime drawing i absolutely love it. Im glad they have some more modern pieces in there rather than upstairs where they have all the classics (which however are still inspirational but i have seen them about a million times).