aberdeen-music

Basic live recording

57vintage

I'm playing at an unplugged fundraiser in a couple of weeks, me on electro-acoustic and the NE's best country-soul singer emoting over the top.

We're keeping it simple gear-wise. 2 JBL 15" FOH speakers powered by an 8-channel desk a tad reverb and perhaps the occasional bit of chorus on the 6-string.

We'd like a very rough recording of the show, but rather than set up microphones and have to worry about the balance etc, I thought we might be able to set whole-gig levels at sound check and take the sound off the desk straight into my minidisc recorder (which I would set on auto level to stop clipping, obviously).

Any advice on how viable this might be and of the best way to get a 2-channel mono signal from the desk into the mini-jack line or mic inputs to the MD? Quite happy to raid Maplins for leads and suitable connectors. The taxman will fork out for them, obviously. 8)

Or is this a no-go?

• 3 weeks later...

check the desk has a line output (quite likely in the form of 2 1/4 jacks or the like)

then all you would need is a cable for 2 mono 1/4 -> 1 stereo 3.5mm jack

easy to make if you are handy with a soldering iron after a quick visit to maplins for the parts (the two hot signals to the tip and ring connections, the two grounds both to the sleeve connection)

David