aberdeen-music

islands

jimr

taken from http://simplemission.typepad.com/

"I know you've been wondering. Where is Nick Diamonds? Where is J'aime? Montreal? LA? NYC? Since winning the hearts of the masses as two/thirds of the French Canadian band the Unicorns, the pair have been busy traveling around this country and theirs working on various musical projects including a brand new fantastique pop group called Islands.

Diamonds describes his group's new music as "F-14 tomcat blah, blah," which is really French-Canadian slang for fiery, shiny and shimmering madcap pop. Really though, it's wonderful stuff and I couldn't be happier to be the first kid on the block to bring it to you.

This time out, you can take a little piece of the music home "

abominable snow

flesh

its loverly

lovely lovely

Abominable Snowman:

"Lo-fi indie-pop with jangly guitars and an anthemic melody that says F.U. to A-B-A structures moving from rapid-fire pop through quiet introspection and into synth-driven melodrama-- in under two minutes-- with lyrics about space crashes, yeti spottings, Canada, and lines like "Since you've been gone, everyone has died"-- yeah, still pretty much the Unicorns M.O., Alden or no. This track has a bit more immediate appeal and a little less of the unique charm of Islands' former band, but whether you were a Unicorns fan or not, I guarantee they'll be at least 20 seconds of this song you'll enjoy."

• 3 weeks later...