aberdeen-music

Old - New

Guest Zeenat Aman

One thing I can never quite fathom is why kids (ie friends of my daughter, 15) will listen to stuff like Pink Floyd rather than "music of now". I don't want to listen to them because I heard them when they were first around (almost!). Mind you probably better to listen to Pink Floyd than bands that sound like Pink Floyd! I think, maybe.

Cans Of Worms!!

Guest Zeenat Aman
One thing I can never quite fathom is why kids (ie friends of my daughter' date=' 15) will listen to stuff like Pink Floyd rather than "music of now". I don't want to listen to them because I heard them when they were first around (almost!). Mind you probably better to listen to Pink Floyd than bands that sound like Pink Floyd! I think, maybe.

Cans Of Worms!![/quote']

Why would anyone want to listen to a band "music of now" clone Pink Floyd, when they can listen to Pink Floyd?.. and so on...

Guest Zeenat Aman
Put it slightly differently. Why listen to Pink Floyd when you can listen to "music of now"? New music rather than old music. I can feel the wriggling!

It depends on whether the band of now, has taken their pink floyd 'inspiration' and done something else/more interesting with it I suppose.

Why would anyone want to listen to a band "music of now" clone Pink Floyd' date=' when they can listen to Pink Floyd?.. and so on...[/quote']

same

bands like Gang of Four

getting soooooo directly ripped off by people (everyone) now [this week anyway] - but in a shitty fake way

so yeh, listening to Gang of Four is a better idea imo

also cant see the point of the bands who deliberatly rip off stuff thats been done ,especially when they are too shit to do it

so yus a rehash by a new *cough* copy band is as dull as some band from the grave thats still playing the same stuff it did a hundred years ago

Why would anyone want to listen to a band "music of now" clone Pink Floyd' date=' when they can listen to Pink Floyd?.. and so on...[/quote']

It kind of shows there a no win situation on here then, because if you listen to people that helped start off many of these things ala the Ian Hunter thread, someone who is credited as being one of the first punks etc, and in one of the most influential bands of the 70's you get slagged off on here for going and supporting them. Theres a big difference between someone like Ian Hunter who has been coinsistantly making music for over 35 years and always doing his own stuff, and a band like Europe who get together to cash in (ala the reformtion that came about in 1999/2000 due to the rerelease of the Final Countdown), yet they're all lumped in together, its a shame.

Cheers

Stuart

It depends on whether the band of now' date=' has taken their pink floyd 'inspiration' and done something else/more interesting with it I suppose.[/quote']

Forget the Pink Floyd connection. Why listen to old music when you can listen to new music? There's so much out there of all kinds.

Guest Zeenat Aman
It kind of shows there a no win situation on here then' date=' because if you listen to people that helped start off many of these things ala the Ian Hunter thread, someone who is credited as being one of the first punks etc, and in one of the most influential bands of the 70's you get slagged off on here for going and supporting them. Theres a big difference between someone like Ian Hunter who has been coinsistantly making music for over 35 years and always doing his own stuff, and a band like Europe who get together to cash in (ala the reformtion that came about in 1999/2000 due to the rerelease of the Final Countdown), yet they're all lumped in together, its a shame.

Cheers

Stuart[/quote']

Lets put aside the slaggings, as I dont see how that will enhance this discussion.

I'd like dave mll(?)'s comments, as I recall reading that he likes to trace things to their original source, as much as is possible.

Forget the Pink Floyd connection. Why listen to old music when you can listen to new music? There's so much out there of all kinds.

Why not just listen to all the music that you enjoy?

I couldn't care less if people think Bloc Party ripped off Gang Of Four or if Kaiser Chiefs are 'a shite Blur' - if it raises a smile on my face or makes me dance like a loon it's getting listened to.

This thread mildly confuses me.

Guest Zeenat Aman

I'd say, because some of it is amazingly, amazing!

I listen to both new and old, but mostly prefer music from the past for some reason.

Guest Zeenat Aman

This thread mildly confuses me.

Let it go with the flow' date=' as there wasn't a definite question as such.

:)

EDIT: although the quote below has kind of answered the clouded reason for me starting it in the first place.

so yus a rehash by a new *cough* copy band is as dull as some band from the grave thats still playing the same stuff it did a hundred years ago

Let it go with the flow' date=' as there wasn't a definite question as such.

:)[/quote']

It'll only descend into chaos ;)

I'd agree with the viewpoint of tracing bands influences back - I've found loads of great bands thanks to interviews with artists talking about their favourite bands or people citing bands as reference points when I've heard a fantastic new track by someone. I usually don't 'drop' the influenced band for the influence though but I know a few people that'll just go back into the past as far as they can for "indie-cred". I just keep listening to them all. :)