aberdeen-music

Clutch @ The Cathouse 15/05/05

psydoll

We got shit on by a bird earlier on this day. All three of us. How the hell does a bird manage to shite on three guys all at once? Excellent aim or eating dead seagulls? Taking all bets! Lucky omen my arse.

My first visit to the Cathouse was an intriguing one. A few times they have been loath to admit the hedgehoggy one before but tonight I sailed in after an amusing search from security.

Security man: "Please empty your pockets of items before being searched."

Strange male: "There's a hole in my pocket."

We burst into laughter and strange male looks confused. Fantastic!

So inward we tootle to the bar and after pointing out who were all buying drinks for we sit back and Psyko Dalek play. Metally sorta stuff with a hint of hardcore perhaps. Horrible sound allowing you to hear precisely one bass note that sounded like a fart in a bath no matter what was being played onstage and predictable, generic music. Nae a good start.

Five Horse Johnson were up next. I caught these guys at Drakes a while back with Deadloss Superstar and recall becoming quite drunk and thoroughly enjoying their harmonica-assisted rawk and roll. Not quite as pleasing this time round though with a bigger venue and worse sound but still an act I'd recommend people to check out if you get the chance.

Clutch were simply amazing. An hour and twenty five minutes of near continuous riffage and some of the best drumming that I've ever seen live. Neil Fallon surprised me as I've always known that he's an ace vocalist but he was a really watchable frontman overall who took time away from centre-stage while the band jammed on songs and just generally commanding the stage. There's not really much else I can say but I hope I get the chance to see them again.

Thunderous noisemetalfest started upstairs but I got dragged off to a shit classic rock bar *grumble grumble*

I guess that bird was kinda lucky in a way after all. :)