aberdeen-music

TV on the computer?

Guest Tam o' Shantie

Guest Tam o' Shantie

I think my girlfriend has some contraption that lets her watch TV on the 'puter? not sure though, and she's at work so i can't ask. so, is there a video card or something that i can fit to my machine and watch TV on? the only reason i ask is that i think it would be cool to watch tv on my computer

yeh you can get tv cards to get in the back of ur machine, plug in an aerial and your off.... I think some graphics cards have this feature built in (mainly the shit back ones the PC World try to flog and talk about the TV feature more than anything else...)

but look around on Dabs or Scan for some cards for TV, some of them aint too expensive and it's a great way to dodge the TV Licence people if ur a student... haha.

Its really not that great if you have an actual TV though.... just a novelty that easily wears off

you just need a tv tuner card, hauppage make loads of them. they are usually PCI cards, though you can get ones that are integrated with an AGP graphics card (i think ATI makes them, the all in wonder cards or something).

the cards are ok, and it's fun to capture bits from TV to mess about with in video editors, etc. it is important to have a good reception feed though, otherwise you'll get pissed off with it pretty quick.

check out ebay, you can usually pick up an old hauppage wintv card for around 15-20 quid.

I have that on my computer. As has already been said though, the reception I get out here is terrible even though we went and bought a super aerial. Still far too much hassle trying to get it going at a decent quality, I'll stick with my dodgy squint tv for now.

Guest MarkJDelaney

I use a capture card from SnaZio - the TV PVR. I use it for recording VHSs to DVD, capturing or taking snap shots TV, keeping an eye on the security camera (while I'm watching TV on the.. well real TV), capturing footage from video camera etc.

http://www.snazzishop.co.uk/cartuk_TvPVR.asp

Only 31 pounds, fantastic features, comes with cables and a remote control. I highly recommend it.

A nice feature like I mentioned before, copying my VHSs to a DVD, is that you can record on the fly.