aberdeen-music

Gail Porter tries to kill herself!

Hog

Guest Jake Wifebeater
I know Jake may come across as insensitive but I think hes just trying to say that in his line of work he has to distinguish the difference between an attention seeker and a person whos coming it. Jake is actually a very understanding guy (dont get emo Hog)

Ah, Hoglet at his conciliatory best!

It's not meant to be insensitive, I'm going by the training I've received in the past 3 and 1/2 years. Best thing to do in a situation like that is to be as calm and matter-of-fact as possible and there are many reasons for this. When someone needs support, you're not much use to them if you're panicking and flapping in case they die on you. Also, giving too much sympathy, or the "poor pet" syndrome as it's sometimes called, could leave someone with positive memories of it, i.e. they received lots of tea and sympathy. This won't exactly deter them from attempting it again.

No matter the gravity of the situation, you always respond as if it is potentially life-threatening, duty to care and all that. I've had to deal with this in the past week and I surprised myself by not giving it a second thought after dealing with it. To me, it's just part of the job.

Incidentally, in all these types of situations, I have never once encountered a man attempting suicide. It has been 100% female. Make of this what you will.

Guest Zeenat Aman

Incidentally' date=' in all these types of situations, I have never once encountered a man attempting suicide. It has been 100% female. Make of this what you will.[/quote']

Do you mean, men are always succsesful in your experience, or none have tried?

I've been up since 4am, escuse my dumbness!

Guest Jake Wifebeater
Do you mean' date=' men are always succsesful in your experience, or none have tried?

I've been up since 4am, escuse my dumbness!

Just playing devil's advocate, really. Was interested in how people would interpret it.

Guest Zeenat Aman
Ouch. That's harsh. Yet possible!

That kind of view, that if your unssucseful in trying to kill yourself means you are somehow pussying out/a lesser person, is maybe why men are more likely to succeed!?

Do you know of any relating statistics about gender and suicide?

Guest Jake Wifebeater
That kind of view' date=' that if your unssucseful in trying to kill yourself means you are somehow pussying out/a lesser person, is maybe why men are more likely to succeed!?

Do you know of any relating statistics about gender and suicide?[/quote']

I think what he meant was that, rather than being unsuccessful, more changing your mind afterwards and then deciding to seek help to repair the damage.

Don't know of any gender/suicide study results offhand, but I think I'll do a bit of digging on that one. The only suicide study that comes to mind just now is Emile Durkheim's study on suicide among Catholics/Protestants. This study was carried out in 1899 and is still seen as the seminal research on suicide. To cut a long study short, he found that Catholics were far less likely to attempt suicide as they were subject to much stronger familial integration. This was a purely statistical study, i.e. numbers/percentages, no real attempt to find individual motives/reasons behind suicide attempts.

Guest Jake Wifebeater
Haha! I'm merely playing devil's advocate too. Honestly.

To be fair' date=' I would probably pussy out if I was gonna slit my wrists. But then if I was gonna commit suicide, I'd make sure there was no chance of fucking it up in the first place.[/quote']

Yeah, that's pretty much my feelings on it. I've never even come close to considering attempting it, but I think it would take a lot of courage. I like to think I wouldn't give the bastards the satisfaction!

Actually I was just making a cheap sexist gag. However, I do think that perhaps men would find it harder to admit that they'd tried to kill themselves, for fear of being laughed at and having their pride dented. I know that when that little twerp off Eastenders was in the papers for trying to kill himself I just thought it was pathetic. But then again, I think the same whenever a celebrity "tries to kill themself".

Guest Zeenat Aman
Actually I was just making a cheap sexist gag. However' date=' I do think that perhaps men would find it harder to admit that they'd tried to kill themselves, for fear of being laughed at and having their pride dented. I know that when that little twerp off Eastenders was in the papers for trying to kill himself I just thought it was pathetic. But then again, I think the same whenever a celebrity "tries to kill themself".[/quote']

It is quite a common opinion, not one I hold myself though.

It is quite a common opinion' date=' not one I hold myself though.[/quote']

It's one I only hold in relation to famous people. Actually no, it's only famous people I don't like or care about. When Richey Edwards tried to kill himself, I didn't think "not ANOTHER one... :rolleyes: ", whereas if that knobber Williams declared he'd "tried" to kill himself, I would think he was just being an over-dramatic twat.