aberdeen-music

Review of Weekend 14/11-16/11

Flash@TMB

Friday Night - The Wrecking Ball

Well I made peace with Ross, so no fire extinguisher antics this week. Cee Jay and I had our usual drunken fall out though :( Apart from that I was so bleezin I can't remember much else.

Saturday Mayhem

Inept 303 were roped in at the last minute as Black Atom couldn't make it. Unfortunately their regular bassist wasn't available but Robbie stepped in and did a remarkably good job despite just 1 rehersal. Keilan and Ross are brilliant to watch! Understandibly Robbie hid behind one of the speaker stacks! Their performance was first rate, and quickly won over the crowd. I've asked Inept 303 to play a stint as a resident band on Sunday's from 8pm-9pm now that 48K's tenure has been sadly cut short due to their drummer moving away from town.

7 Stoner Under

Were up next and also played a stormer. They remind me a lot of Alice in Chains. They are a very tight band, and the lead vocal has an excellent voice. I certainly intend inviting them back again for another gig. The crowd gave them a very enthusiastic response and it's apparent that they have a big local following. From a sound perspective I found them a joy to work with. I need contact details, so if you're reading this guys...

Risatonia

These guys have been drinking in the bar for years. In fact probably before they were legal to do so. Whenever I asked them about playing they'd make some excuse about being shit, or too thrashy. Nothing could be further from the truth. Like 7SL they are incredibly tight, only much thrashier, reminicent of early Metallica. They first played The Moorings a couple of years back before we took over. Apparently it was a bit of a nightmare - not surprising given the state of the place back then. But things have changed at the bar, and our crowd is now younger and more receptive to this type of music. Risatonia blew everyone away and even persuaded Rocker John to get up for a song. It felt good to watch them slay the ghosts of the past!

As predicted this was a very busy night and unfortunately we had to turn people away at one point.

Sunday - The Munsters of Rock

No resident band this week due to 48K losing their drummer. I have Inept 303 lined up for next week though. Very busy night at the Jam Session with lots of jammers but a distinct lack of drummers. Fanny in a Boot fired up with a cracking rendition of Highway Star. We also have a new regular Jammer (sorry can't remember his name yet AAARGH I need to stop drinking on Fridays) with a great voice and thus the Darkness cover was finally nailed. The Fox arrived towards the end and once again went down exceptionally well so I booked them as support for the following Saturday.