aberdeen-music

Little Hammer

Dead_Fashion

hey just thought i'd stick a song of mine as i've been working on some songs for a while. just wondering what people would think of it. its not that well produced as neither me or dave know what we are looking for and we don't have the experience either.

im not sure how to describe it so i put the three genres alternative, ambient and progressive. its just reverbed guitar by its self at the mo, i find its sounds quite nice alone. i guess it sounds a lot better played live...

http://www.purevolume.com/littlehammer

Hi,

The mix is really quiet - had to chuck the volume on my PC up to the very max to hear. The reverbed guitar sounds nice, and I can hear some nice rich bass backing on this with slow drum rolls, but on its own it doesn't make much sense at the moment - unless I'm missing something that's really low in the mix. Going to have any vocals on top of this?

What do you use to record?

well the pint is theres no vocals, the vocals are the guitar i'd like to think... we record using daves digital 8 track then cool edit pro 2 to edit, its is quiet huh. we havn't done much with it because i've never thought i wanted much more to it, i just wish it sounded like when i play it live, much more atmospheric.

i put some tremelo keyboard that went through my amp too along with some faint clicks and a bit of doubled guitar, i'll explore the drum rolls part. i've always thought minimal drums would be quite nice with my music.

cheers for the feedback.

Guest ForbiddenFruitcake

i much prefer the untitled track to 'cellar door'. cellar door i feel is a bit repetitive after 1.30, but the untitled track i feel also seems to have more emotion in it. in response to what's been said above, i like the simpleness of the tracks, fits well. all good :up:

Guest Stripey

Listening to it now.

First thing to notice, is masses of hiss on the recording!, along with the sound of someone sniffing in the background and random pops and clicks....

The guitar playing is kinda cool, quite dark altogether, but it doesn't work alone in my opinion and could benefit from some more instrumentation and better production in order to make it "whole".

thanks thats probably the only feedback i've got that agrees with the simpleness. its funny, i wrote the untitled one (its untitled because i cant think of title.. im so rubbish) in a couple of days maybe with a slight bit of development over months, while cellar door took much longer to write because i was stressing over strumming patterns and repatitiveness etc and finding parts to develop the song onwards.

see the name of the song has been changing, i guess im still not happy with it. i wrote it after seeing donnie darko at the cinema in the belmont, well at least it started there.

hence the cheesy title. ack im sure i'll find a better one to describe what the song means to me...

Listening to it now.

First thing to notice' date=' is masses of hiss on the recording!, along with the sound of someone sniffing in the background and random pops and clicks....

The guitar playing is kinda cool, quite dark altogether, but it doesn't work alone in my opinion and could benefit from some more instrumentation and better production in order to make it "whole".[/quote']

well we actually put those clicks there, im guessing you dont like them. doh.

and the sniffling is because i had a snotty nose at the time, we thought it sounded quite cool so we left it in... and the hissing is the recording i think it sounds ok, it just doesnt sound like when im playing it from my amp... sounds so much more atmospheric...

theres an electronica song i wrote a few months ago i think i might load that one up, i think it sounds pretty cool... i used the simplest editing program in the world, audacity... so curazy.

Guest Stripey
well we actually put those clicks there' date=' im guessing you dont like them. doh.

and the sniffling is because i had a snotty nose at the time, we thought it sounded quite cool so we left it in... and the hissing is the recording i think it sounds ok, it just doesnt sound like when im playing it from my amp... sounds so much more atmospheric...

theres an electronica song i wrote a few months ago i think i might load that one up, i think it sounds pretty cool... i used the simplest editing program in the world, audacity... so curazy.[/quote']

I didn't realise they were intentional, it just came across as noise in the recording...the guitar playing was cool though.