aberdeen-music

The Ocean Collective + Support @ The Tunnels

LiamDD

Daily Dischord Presents...

The Ocean Collective (Metal Blade)

Wednesday, 25th May 2011

Tickets: 6

Buy tickets here: Daily Dischord

Tickets will be available from One Up soon.

----INFO----

Fresh from supporting The Dillinger Escape Plan on their European tour at the end of 2010, 2011 is set to be a huge year for Metal Blade/Pelagic Records band The Ocean Collective. The German melodic metallers will be hitting the road in the UK as main support for earthone9 on their comeback dates immediately after supporting Between The Buried & Me in the US, and before heading out on a mainland European headline tour, the guys will put on a spectacle at Aberdeen's The Tunnels. Do not miss out.

The Ocean Collective | Facebook

Heliocentric

Pelagic Records > The Ocean

For Fans Of: Between The Buried & Me, Mastodon, Baroness, The Dillinger Escape Plan

----PR----

Five silhouettes, their backlit bodies moving frenetically in front of the monstrous LED lighting rigs, flashing synchronized to every little change in the music: watching THE OCEAN perform live is an experience. The videos, the lighting and more than anything, the music - orchestral, dense and epic - all contribute to that certain atmosphere that sets THE OCEAN apart from most of their peers in the realm of modern day's heavy music. The lynch-esque play with darkness and dynamics make it easy for the listener to get lost in the dismal oceanic spheres. Oceanland, before the band was evicted from the place in 2008.

----REVIEWS----

"Epic in scope and flawless in execution, 'Precambrian' reinforces The Ocean as one of the most exciting names in modern heavy music. Behold mind-blowing metal on a wagnerian scale" - ROCKSOUND (UK)

"Ambitious and epic, dense and orchestral, the latest album from Germany's premier thinking man's metal collective The Ocean features a dizzying array of musical and vocal styles, from Mastodonian prog jags and Fear Factory jackhammer blasts to ethereal electronics and florid classical instrumentations" - AMP (USA)

"engrossing to the point where words don't necessarily matter. The Ocean do for earth science class what Mastodon did for Melville: make learning brutal" - DECIBEL (USA)

I'm there in a flash. Phenomenal live band. I was right in the front row for Dillinger last October and when the singer jumped to the barriers for the first time during Firmament he started screaming right in my face. Awesome moment.

Oh man, I am genuinely excited to see them live. I'm extremely, genuinely proud to be bringing them here.

Sneakily ask them to just play for as long as possible (hopefully with the headlining European Tour they will have rehearsed lots of songs!). I'd rather have more of them than loads of the usual local -core bands who play on most vaguely 'metal' bills.

Glasgow gets them supporting Earthtone 9 (sadly the day before my dissertation is due in), and mainland Europe gets Intronaut (who are amazing!) supporting The Ocean. Life's not fair sometimes!

• Upvote 1

Sneakily ask them to just play for as long as possible (hopefully with the headlining European Tour they will have rehearsed lots of songs!). I'd rather have more of them than loads of the usual local -core bands who play on most vaguely 'metal' bills.

Glasgow gets them supporting Earthtone 9 (sadly the day before my dissertation is due in), and mainland Europe gets Intronaut (who are amazing!) supporting The Ocean. Life's not fair sometimes!

Sadly I didn't get the option to book any of them two tour packages. Both would have been great! :(

I will have support bands (unfortunately for you) but I'm trying not to have the same old same old people come to expect. The band themselves expressed they would like quite a varied line up rather than the "power metal support" they seem to get elsewhere. Hopefully you dig some of it dude. It should be a great night.

Sadly I didn't get the option to book any of them two tour packages. Both would have been great! :(

I will have support bands (unfortunately for you) but I'm trying not to have the same old same old people come to expect. The band themselves expressed they would like quite a varied line up rather than the "power metal support" they seem to get elsewhere. Hopefully you dig some of it dude. It should be a great night.

I've got no problem with supports. I'd just like to see something different than the usual metalcore bands that play every show here.

Quoted for truth

Yep, I would say he is right enough but there is usually a reason for it. Big bands don't come cheap and I would imagine that a lot of promoters try to book the bands that bring the most kids in to try recoup the costs as much as possible. It's getting the balance right that is the key I think. I'd hate for one of my favourite bands to come and end up with no crowd as all the kids leave when their mates band finishes.

I hope you don't think that about this support line up. I'm very, very happy with it. Announced in an hour or so once I get final details done!

I forgot to mention this but I actually interviewed The Ocean late last year. If you want to check that out I've linked it below. I also reviewed Dead At The Scene's EP which I have also linked. Both are really awesome.

There's going to be plenty more exclusives coming up between now and May 25th to support this gig. I'll keep y'all posted. We have some mega stuff in the pipe line!

The Ocean Interview | Daily Dischord

Dead At The Scene – Sharktopus | Daily Dischord

• 5 weeks later...

Just under a month until this show. Advance tickets have been selling well but we still have plenty of tickets at One Up and online so grab yours now. Retract The Accolade and Entrosolet also have tickets so if you want to avoid booking charges just get in touch with one of the bands.

Only 3 weeks until this show. The Ocean have never been to Aberdeen before so please come and give them a warm welcome so they finish their tour telling all their friends how amazing Aberdeen was! Aberdeen needs to have more quality metal bands coming up north.

Advance tickets are selling well. If you're not convinced then check out the guys new video for "Roots & Locusts".

Roots & Locusts in The Ocean - Daily Dischord

I'll be impressed if they even make it here. I've never seen a band as unlucky as them. Were robbed in Spain last year and lost something like 6000 euros, and in the US at the moment their tourbus is constantly breaking down and it seems they're being screwed over by the company as well!

I will reiterate they are phenomenal live and 6 is a bargain for this show!

I'll be impressed if they even make it here. I've never seen a band as unlucky as them. Were robbed in Spain last year and lost something like 6000 euros, and in the US at the moment their tourbus is constantly breaking down and it seems they're being screwed over by the company as well!

I will reiterate they are phenomenal live and 6 is a bargain for this show!

I was reading on a Facebook post they made that when touring the States with Between The Buried & Me, venues are taking a cut of the money they make off of their merch. In some places the cut is quite high too. I find that absolutely shocking and I'm pretty sure it just does not happen in the UK. How can a venue expect to take a cut off of merch they haven't even paid for? That must be dicking them over pretty bad.

I really hope their UK stint is a lot better. I know they will be treated with a lot more respect by promoters and venues, that's for sure.

I was reading on a Facebook post they made that when touring the States with Between The Buried & Me, venues are taking a cut of the money they make off of their merch. In some places the cut is quite high too. I find that absolutely shocking and I'm pretty sure it just does not happen in the UK. How can a venue expect to take a cut off of merch they haven't even paid for? That must be dicking them over pretty bad.

I really hope their UK stint is a lot better. I know they will be treated with a lot more respect by promoters and venues, that's for sure.

Yeah it was something like 25% of sales they were wanting? They also counted everything into and out of the venue to make sure bands weren't lying about sales. That's pretty disgraceful IMO as that money is basically what the bands live off! It's something I've never heard of over here, but I guess the venues here make so much money on bar sales they don't need to do that. (I have no idea how much alcohol costs in the US at gigs as I've never been there!)

• 2 weeks later...

Eight more days until this. Tickets are selling well in advance so really hope we can show the band why Aberdeen is the place to come play!

They just sent me their video blog they recorded in the U.S. which I've uploaded to my websites YouTube page. Check it out to see what to expect from the guys!

Daily Dischord Presents: The Ocean U.S. Tour Blog – Part 1 - Daily Dischord

THIS IS TOMORROW!

The Ocean will more than likely be playing an epic 90 minute set so do NOT miss out on this. For any fans of metal, or neatly structured guitar music for that matter, you need to see this band. Incredible.

For a wee taster, check this out. Daily Dischord Presents: The Ocean U.S. Tour Blog Part 1 - Daily Dischord

Tickets can still be bought from Ticketweb, you will then collect your tickets from the door. Tickets will also be in One Up until mid afternoon tomorrow.