aberdeen-music

guitar cleaning / maintenance??

scandaldallas

Hi Folks,

I really should know my way around cleaning a guitar by now....but I don't.

I've heard of various products to keep the finish looking bonny, the fretboard feeling loved and the electics free from gunk or whatever. But I wonder what people use and would recommend be it branded products (including Mr Sheen) to personal tricks that you emply.

educate me!

cheers

I use some dunlop polish stuff I got years ago from R&B for the body and some lemon oil for the rosewood fingerboards on my acoustic and ESP. You don't need lemon oil for a maple neck. Both bottles I bought years ago and just use a little when I restring, still got loads left.

For the electrics you can get some switch cleaner that'll do the job. Just a spray if things are sounding crackly.

Guest davetherave

Spit n polish, literally! In one very good guitar maintenance book I own, it suggests saliva as perfect for cleaning dirty fingerboards! It works great, dry off with a clean cloth and apply a little lemon oil to rosewood boards or Mr sheen to gloss maple necks.

I generally use Mr Sheen for gloss finish bodies, buffed up with a soft cloth. Matt bodies usually just need a wipe with a damp cloth.

If electrics are crackling try some aerosol switch cleaner from Maplins.

Alternately, go for the SRV or Rory Gallagher look and never polish the guitar :up: