aberdeen-music

One for the reggae/dancehall historians?

Guest Tam o' Shantie

Guest Tam o' Shantie

Can anyone help me out here? I've been signed up to TurnTable Lab's newsletters for a few years now and amongst their featured lists, at one point was a live Jamaican record which was a battle of some sort. They do little writeups of all their releases and this one really captured my imagination.

Basically this was some sort of battle or showdown between a couple of big dub/dancehall guys (I'm 99% sure producers rather than singers/MCs) but I don't think it was part of any serious fierce rivalry. One of them was generally considered past his best and a bit washed up, but the whole show commenced and he wowed the audience and proved he still 'had it' (and maybe won the battle, I dunno). The way it was told was the stuff of legends but I can't remember who it was and googling 'reggae rivalries' just brings up the usual Beanieman vs X type feuds, and I really dont think this was a bitter thing, just a battle. If anyone knows of any classic Jamaican 'showdowns' let me know, Turntable Lab have long since stopped stocking whatever this is.

And yes, I've searched my old emails to the point of actually spending about 2 hours reading every single damn newsletter I've had from them to see if I can find the initial recommendation...nothing!

Roots Archives : Scientist v. Prince Jammy - Big Showdown

Your description makes me think of things like that...

Are you really that certain it was producers/mixing engineers rather than singers? And your "story" of the record...was that actually what happens or is that an imaginative interpretation of the album? Furthermore, do you remember if it was a new release or a reissue?

Guest Tam o' Shantie
Roots Archives : Scientist v. Prince Jammy - Big Showdown

Your description makes me think of things like that...

Aye definitely along the right lines here. Dont think that's quite the one though.

Are you really that certain it was producers/mixing engineers rather than singers?

And your "story" of the record...was that actually what happens or is that an imaginative interpretation of the album?

Furthermore, do you remember if it was a new release or a reissue?

I'm fairly sure but not certain.

Well to some degree it's an interpretation but I don't think TTL just make stuff up about their releases. The guys that run the store and work there are all majorly experienced DJs/collectors who know their stuff and it's really unlikely that whoever did the little review/blurb wasn't clued up on the history behind it.

This was definitely not a new release and i'm sure it was an 80s thing.