aberdeen-music

Monkey Swallows The Universe + Nicky Cairney + The Family Simpson @ Tunnels, 10 Feb

offramp

interesting music promotions present:

MONKEY SWALLOWS THE UNIVERSE + LAKI MERA + NICKY CAIRNEY

Sunday 10th February

The Tunnels, Carnegies Brae, Aberdeen AB10 1BF Phone 01224 211121

Doors 8pm Entry 5

http://www.thetunnels.co.uk

http://www.myspace.com/interestingmusic

monkey_swallows_the_universe_poster.jpg

MONKEY SWALLOWS THE UNIVERSE

Monkey Swallows the Universe are an acoustic indiepop band from Sheffield, centred around the original founding duo of Nat Johnson & Kevin Gori, who formed the band in 2004. The band expanded in 2005 to include Catherine Tully on violin, Andy George on cello & Rob Dean on drums.

In February 2006 the band released their debut album 'The Bright Carvings', on the independent record label Thee Sheffield Phonographic Corporation and released a single with Thee SPC in July 2006. In the autumn of 2006, the band supported fellow Sheffield outfit The Long Blondes on several occasions during their tour, and have also previously supported Mercury-nominated Richard Hawley and Camera Obscura.

They have performed sessions on BBC Radio 4, BBC Radio 6 and XFM. They have been variously described as "Delightful indiepop" (The Daily Telegraph), "big big news" (Rough Trade) and "boss" (Richard Hawley). After signing with Loose at the beginning of 2007, there was a new single, Little Polveir released in April, and the band's second album, "The Casket Letters", is out now.

http://www.myspace.com/mstu

LAKI MERA

Laki Mera fell to earth in Glasgow, arriving from outposts around Europe in 2004.

Laki Mera is the sum of unique parts. Multi instrumentalist Andrea Gobbi is from Rome, where he grew up playing in various punk and reggae outfits before being taken by the lure of electronica. Singer Laura Donnelly is a former member of the car crash that never happened - Rough Trade recording artists, God's Boyfriend. Keyboard duties are shared with Kier Long - a classically trained pianist. Percussion is supplied by Tim Harbinson who learned his trade playing with the likes of Duke Special and Juliet Turner in the fertile Belfast music scene of his youth. Then there's cellist Trevor Helliwell. Trevor's musical sensitivity stands at odds with his hard-living character; a musician whose prodigious talent is put in the shade by his larger than life personality. His capacity for disorder is legendary.

Laki Mera stretch out conventional song structures into epic cinematic feature length soundtracks; lush, classical, percussive, melodic and emotional.

http://www.myspace.com/lakimera

NICKY CAIRNEY

Guitar strumming, harp plucking, scottish singer/songwriter blending folk, pop and electronica into her own little world.

http://www.myspace.com/nickycairney

• 2 weeks later...

look! some stuff about The Family Simpson!

If you missed Ian supporting Anni Rossi then where the fuck were you? Here's your chance to make amends, eh...

The Family Simpson sometimes sound as beautiful as lemonade soaking through a summer dress. at other times they sound like a kettle being thrown around in a fridge. This singer/songwriter based in Aberdeen, Scotland, influenced by postcard moments, creates brief forays examining emotions and situations from a variety of viewpoints using his voice, loop pedal and variety of lofi instruments.

MySpace.com - The Family Simpson - Aberdeen, UK - Acoustic / Alternative / Experimental - www.myspace.com/thefamilysimpson

lofimusic.co.uk

what people are saying about MSTU...

The Guardian

"Sheffield's loveliest band"

The Sun

"They stand on the brink of becoming the steel city's latest sensations"

Daily Telegraph

"Delightful indiepop."

The Mirror

"Roll over Charles Darwin and tell those musical evolutionists the news - there's yet more Sheffield Monkeys beside the Arctic variety."

Rough Trade

"These Sheffield kids are big big news. They have a sound that transports you back to the days of the late 80's and listening to John Peel religiously every night. It sounds like a mix of The Siddleys, Belle and Sebastian and Sarah Records."

"We love monkey swallows the universe and so should you."

Stylus Magazine

"Nat Johnson and Kevin Gori wrap [Nat's] humane insight in a richly melodic web of acoustic guitar (theyre the best acoustic duo since Simon and Garfunkel).

"This lot are something special."

Tasty Fanzine

"Sometimes a band comes along and gives you a few smiles. Sometimes a band comes along and makes you excited. And sometimes a band comes along and sweeps you off your feet. Monkey Swallows the Universe fit into the latter category with ease."

Drowned in Sound

"Capable of haunting, tear-prickling acoustic beauty...more than worthy of any - and everyone's respect and attention."

Sounds XP

"These simians know how to soothe even the most furrowed of brows. Lovely."

Sandman Magazine

"Astonishingly engaging songwriting"

Haha! I think I know who you are now KS - you arrived early yes?

If you're referring to me - the shushing was part of the song - but it seemed to do the trick! :)

To be honest I don't mind folk having a chat because nights out are better if you're social but if it gets so loud it pisses off other people who want to listen to the music then the line has to be drawn. How is another question - I've seen some right rants from musicians that makes you just think 'they're tossers' (CIP: Dean Owens)...

Here is a short vid I took of MSTU (who I agree were amazing and I wish more folk were there to enjoy it) - sorry about the sound quality. YouTube - Monkey Swallows The Universe - Tunnels, Aberdeen, 10/02/08

Thanks again to all at IMP & Tunnels - the coffee & soup were bloody lovely by the way. Possibly my best gig experience. I'm perhaps too easily pleased!

Yeah we did turn up a little early....got good seats though!

And chat is fine! As long as it's not distracting others from listening which this lot were doing! It was pretty bad during Nicky Cairney's set...and then the beginning of MSTU, but compared to some gigs I've been to it wasn't as bad as all that. I'm just a moany wee....moan...