aberdeen-music

software for music production

dolf

ive been asked by stow college in glasgow to do some research for my interview on thursday.i am doin music and audio technology next year hopefully,so they asked me to research "computers have an important part to play in music production. which software is best in your opinion?" if any one has any information,opinions,links etc to this i would be very greatful if they could help me out here.

cheers

pete

think protools is still the industry standard. worth a look, think you can even download a demo...

cubase can used for audio and midi recording. www.steinberg.com for more details.

cool edit pro is my personal favourite. now called adobe audition. www.adobe.com

might be worth looking at other areas where computers can help with music production - ie: mastering. a package called t-racks 24 is pretty amazing at adding sparkle to an audio mix.

think the best thing you can do is download all the demos and give it a go yourself - that's the only way you're going to be able to give them your opinion & answer any questions they're obviously going to ask once you've committed to a particular package.

www.sospubs.co.uk is a good place to find reviews of software packages and hardware.

You could also mention things like the Mackie Hard Disk Recorder. Although it is tied to Mackie Hardware (which is just a standard PC running their own realtime OS), it is quite similar to protools and many other DAW software.

There's a couple of interesting pages on the Ardour website here and here that describe some basic DAW hardware and software concepts.

Guest Neubeatz

dolf,

A couple of years ago,

I wrote a reasearch project for college called "The Joy Of Live Music",

Its a good subject to write about....:)

Especially doing the research part...;)!!!

Originally posted by ghost:

because you interact with other people. oh yeah and there's usually drink involved. :D

Yip with other people in a social way and with performer/crowd. Plus you get energy live, something a CD can't really capture.