aberdeen-music

[GIG] The Romance + Captain Face @ Snafu

Wax

http://www.myspace.com/theromancemusic

Gig Review..... Georgian Theatre....

"A Teesside band with a new big lable singles deal have proved that they can support the very best, and on Saturday they headlined in their own right.......

The first time i saw The Romance was as support to the Arctic Monkeys at a packed gig at Middlesbrough Arena. Before the show i chatted with singer Matt Chipchase about life after his old band and he told me that the Arena was crawling with A&R men all trying to tempt the Arctic Monkeys into signing.

Everything was set for the underground band to go over ground in a big way, but against all odds, the new act from Teesside put on a performance to rival Sheffield's Arctic Monkeys.

A Year on, The Romance made a triumphant return to Teesside. It was a big Saturday night at a totally sold out Georgian Theatre and here's the big link - the last time i recall an atmosphere like that at the venue was when Arctic Monkeys played here last June.

It's chirpy pop till you drop from The Romance. Every guitar hook is catchy. every chorus driven by irresistible stompy drumming. The songs are irresistable - no wonder they've landed a singles deal, there's a set full of songs here crying out for full on Radio One Treatment.

I recognised This Town from the Pocketwatch EP, with its rousing three lined whip whooping harmonising; I also caught The Boy from their November Demo with brilliant scattergun vocals.

The Lads look like proto pop stars - hats, shades, sleevless shirts. All uplifting stuff and only a matter of time before teesside as a genuine chart band."

Stockton after dark isnt always the most comfortable place to be explains The Romances singer-guitarist Matt. Its a rough place, but were trying to prove theres still room for people to think for themselves and be a bit effeminate if they want to be. Plus, were a gang so no one puts one over on us!

Such is the spirit of The Romance, their breathless art-pop has already seen them play to two thousand people at a Middlesbrough Music Live event, earn rave notices from gigging partners Arctic Monkeys and Babyshambles and get flustered London A&R men reaching for the road atlas. Not bad for four raffish scoundrels from Teeside barely out of their teens. Formed barely a year ago from the ashes of innumerable local bands, the line up (Matt (guitars/vocals), Danny (guitar), Adam (bass) Sean(drums)) have already got a tidy 150 gigs under their belt.

thursday - 10.30pm - snafu