aberdeen-music

Saint Maybe - Draining The Swinelord

ghost

[[I'm assuming this is the title of the CDR - just says Demos 2003 on my copy]]

Saint Maybe - Demos 2003

Arthur

Starts by making you wonder if your headphones are broken as only the left channel is audible - nice lofi way to attract interest in the song! This develops into a rather catchy stop/start instrumental which really can only be described as Sonic Youth's interpretation of the Knight Rider theme tune. It builds quite a lot towards the end and you expect it to erupt into fuzz death but instead...

Swimming Upstream

...you're presented with this Smog-esque gem of a song, evoking memories of campfire tales, childhood adventures and endless summer nights. Vocal doubling is very effective and mimics Bill Calaghan circa Rain On Lens. Traces of Mum in the guitar layering and the organic drum machine. For such a minimalist song, the impact is astounding.

Interzone

A slow, dark instrumental track, again I expect Calaghan's dulcet tones to slide in over this track - it deserves some vocals actually! Without them, the track ambles along without really going anywhere, then surprises at the very last.

The Trick Of The Slo-mo

A loose track with ascending dry piano a welcome addition to the Saint Maybe sound. A chorus Enon would be proud of, Dave's distorted vocals add a layer of sleaze, whispering dirt into your ear. This is the kind of track that deserves a lofi headfuck video.

Barricade Storming Song

Chugging riff reminiscent of Negative Creep but, at 19 seconds, doesn't have time to make an impact.

Plug In Yeah!

"Plug in my friends" invites Dave you with the air of a friendly neighbourhood shopkeeper and, before you know it, you've been chained up in the basement to spend the rest of your natural life making shoes from the skin of small dogs. The dirty distorted riffs and meaty bass are more than a touch hypnotic. Some cracking changes in this song too, but it's a touch slow to get the kidz moshing.

Space Rock

An acoustic instrumental number that could be a Siamese Dream outtake, this short track is crying out to be expanded into a full song.

I Saw The Plans

Overtly computerised drum beat accompanied by organic hand claps form a guard of honour for this laid back track. Lyrics are repetitive but effective due to slight changes from line to line. It's a simplistic, hypnotic ode to MI5... isn't it?

Green + Gold

Really does remind me of Mum here circa Finally We Are No One. Layers of nursery-rhyme keyboards and synthetic beats create a lovely upbeat mood. The deconstruction of the song towards the end and the introduction of screaming harmonic guitar(?) very low in the mix is very listenable.

Returning Nodes

Overdriven moody instrumental in which the guitar drowns out the drums. Quite interesting to begin with but doesn't progress.

Cuckoo

Similar pace and inventiveness as in Green + Gold, but a darker, more industrial setting. Takes a few listens to get into, but it's one of the better instrumentals on this CD.

Gunpowder Plot

Spiky, nervous instrumental which develops into a searing chorus, reminds me of Sonic Youth's NYC Ghosts & Flowers. Gets the feet tapping every time I listen. I'd love to hear some vocals laid over this track - shows definite promise. Shades of Pearl Jam's Spin The Black Circle in the outro riff...

Rainy Day Saving

We're back into Smog meets Sebadoh territory here. There is a lot of space in this song created by panning the bass and guitar to opposite sides of the stereo field. Stream of consciousness lyrics about saving loose change for a rainy day. Occasional timing skips but it could be my CD. I really like this track, a pity it cuts out so sharply.

Ceramic Rahm

Weird instrumental segue with high pitched hyper screaming lead guitar. Take it or leave it.

The Blackout Club

Starting like a jam in a smoke-filled jazz club for sonic terrorists, The Blackout Club is smooth, sultry and subdued. Dave's vocals are so low in the mix it's like he's leaning across your shoulder and whispering into your ear. I also love the lofi ending tape click.

Milky Milky

Iggy Pop/Mark E Smith-esque vocals about being or stalking a milkman - I'm not 100% sure which - maybe it's both! What I do know for certain is that this track absolutely kicks ass. One of the best tracks on the CD - wagons roll!

Lets Get Drunk

Spacey treble heavy downbeat suggestion to go out and get pissed. Shades of Arab Strap in subject matter (it's what they're best at) and Smog in delivery. The guitar EQ hurts your head like the mother of all hangovers though...

Clipped

A similar arrangement to the previous track, this track is a bit too rough to be more than a demo. It sounds promising though and has an good upbeat break towards the end of the song.

Angel Wings Snippet

A spaced-out acoustic segment of a Sidca song. Instructs you to 'write a letter home'... and then is gone.

There are a lot of great tracks on here, there are probably an equal number of unfinished tracks or segues that you'll listen to once, then skip forever more. However, don't let that put you off - tracks such as Swimming Upstream, The Trick of the Slo-mo, Green + Gold, Gunpowder Plot, Rainy Day Saving and Milky Milky are more than worth the effort of sifting through the others. Hassle them for a copy at www.saintmaybe.fsnet.co.uk ...