aberdeen-music

Soundcards

Ian

Hello i don't really know too much about soundcards or home recording, but i am looking to buy one at a reasonable price, so if anyone has a spare one to sell give me a pm :up:

alternativly if anyone can recommenda descent soundcard or advice on what to look for / avoid in soundcards, it wid be affa much appreciated.

and one final thing can anyone recommend some good books etc for getting into home recording, or creating electronic music via synths sampling and sequencing as i have no idea where to start with this especially when it comes to playing live but find it really interesting.

Great

ta

Guest texjamm

I use a Yamaha SW1000XG for both midi sounds and audio work and I quite like it. :up: It has mainly traditional instruments and pads on it. However by using XGEdit software you can tweak to your hearts content!!!!

I would read some of the music making forums to find out what they are using for different types of music. No good getting a good "strings" card if your into Industrial sort of sounds!!

Bca2000

I'd recommend a Behringer BCA-2000

Its a soft driven USB mixer, converts all your inputs into digital before they get anywhere near noisy fans etc... Very reliable and latency is reasonable if your computer has a little grunt. Suits me very well and great with a laptop for recording on move etc..

You don't need a soundcard at all anymore..

Guest scott cs.

Pick up a copy of Future Music or Computer Music as i've often found them very helpful and they come with a covermount CD/DVD that has tutorial videos and free software/samples included.

Sound On Sound is also worth getting, but it's deals with more studio based equipment and i don't know if thats what you're looking for.

I have an Edirol UA-25 soundcard and it's brilliant. Low latency rate, has 2 XLR/TRS inputs and also has MIDI IN and OUT.

The best thing to look for in soundcards is a low latency rate and a good amount of inputs. It's a pity no-one really stocks them in Aberdeen [at least not that i can think of?] as it would have been good to try some out.

great, thanks for feedback, anyone got asny ideas on good books etc.. ill give the computer music ago, computer arts always tends to be really helpful for me so all stick with a tried and trusted publisher ;) its more picking up on the teory of it all aswell and understanding technical terms and differnaces between using mic a to mic b and input, output levels also.

seems alot to learn without getting my ass to college and studying it but ill give it ago.

cheers for all help

:)