aberdeen-music

Drum shops/repairs in Aberdeen

Steven9000

I've got a snare with some dents in the bearing edge, its making the thing hard, neigh impossible to tune (at least for me, although I am pretty inexperienced at tuning drums) without a terrible ring (tried the same skin on the other side which has no dents, doesn't produce nearly as much ring).

If it comes down to it, where could I go in Aberdeen to get the bearing edge re-done? In fact, is there anyone knowlegable that would take a look at the thing and give me some good advice on how to go about getting the damn thing fixed?

Cheers.

I've got a snare with some dents in the bearing edge' date=' its making the thing hard, neigh impossible to tune (at least for me, although I am pretty inexperienced at tuning drums) without a terrible ring (tried the same skin on the other side which has no dents, doesn't produce nearly as much ring).

If it comes down to it, where could I go in Aberdeen to get the bearing edge re-done? In fact, is there anyone knowlegable that would take a look at the thing and give me some good advice on how to go about getting the damn thing fixed?

Cheers.[/quote']

Not sure whether it's a metal or wooden shell.....but either way, your options are limited.

If metal, it depends how the edge has been formed. If it's a solid metal shell with a machined edge, it may be possible to have the edge re-machined - probably very expensive though, and i wouldnt have a clue where you could get this done.

Cheaper metal snares often have bearing edges that are formed by basically "folding" over the top part of the shell.....if this is yours, I think the drum is knackered. Can't think of any way to fix this kind of edge.

If wooden, you could either have the edge machined again, although same problems apply as with the metal snare.......or you might be able to use epoxy resin or similar to "fill in" the dents, and then sand them flat. Without seeing the drum i've no idea if this is a practical solution.

Either way, i think you could only justify getting a professional repair job done if this is a seriously good snare drum....otherwise your money would be better spent on a new drum IMO.

A good idea might be to have a word with Duncan Christie in Bruce Millers....if anyone around here knows someone that could do this kind of job, he will.

Hope that's of some use....anyone else got any ideas?

Yeah, I plan to have a word with him at one point, just doing my research in the meantime.

Forgot to mention, its a wooden snare, you can see pictures of it here. I'm liking the idea of the epoxy resin, do you think this drum would be a good candidate for it? Is there a chance I could screw up the drum entirely in the attempt?

Thanks for the reply!