aberdeen-music

CAPTAIN plus support

Saturday 17th November @ Moshulu

CAPTAIN

In a musical era dominated by bands who seem to exist solely within highly specific camps - be it art rock, New York-style indie posturing or something similarly unappealing - Captain are a glorious anomaly.

A rum bunch of five distinctly individual people, their music sounds quintessentially of itself.

Consequently, Captain are very nearly unique, 2006's most handsome black sheep. "I've never felt particularly part of the scene," says the band's singer Rik Flynn, "whichever scene we happen to be talking about. It's not something I've ever set out to sidestep, it's just the way things are.

Of course, I'm aware that this is something that can work against you, but right now, it seems to be working for us." He takes the cigarette he has been earnestly puffing away on from his mouth and blows a self-satisfied smoke ring. "And that pleases me enormously." Captain's music is joyful, clattering, full of divergent moodswings, the jubilant crescendoes of male/female vocal sparring and, just occasionally, the trill parp of a trumpet.

Above all else, as Rik Flynn will tell you himself, the band's music is, "hopeful, emotional and euphoric. Whether it's melancholy or we're singing stories about people dying of cancer, we still want to cheer everybody up." And that they do with no little flair.

Their debut album, This is Hazelville, produced by the legendary Trevor Horn (Frankie Goes To Hollywood, Grace Jones, ABC) is a triumph, a record possessing the combustible energy of Arcade Fire with the theatrical thrum of Flaming Lips and the sheer exuberance of a six year-old anticipating Christmas. You may well have already heard their debut single Frontline. Well, its bug-eyed oh-oh-OH!s are typical of the band's ability to hypnotise.

This is wonderfully involving music.

www.myspace.com/captaintheband

SUPPORT from

THE BLIZZARDS

www.theblizzards.ie

and

EDDISON

Tickets from:

http://www.ticketweb.co.uk/user/?region=gb_scotland&query=detail&event=236851&interface=

www.moshulu.net