aberdeen-music

Foyerlive @ the Tunnels, April 8th

calum

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Startex
I'd love to do gigs for a pound entry fee - except' date=' there's the slight problem in that the door money pays the bands. If 50 people come in at 1 each, that means after overheads (posters, etc) there's about 40 to pay the bands with..is it worth bands getting out of bed for 10 each?[/quote']

Perhaps you should have a think about why you only get 50 people to your gigs then?

Guest stuartmaxwell

yeah and they do a good job at foyer, they are a great help to bands starting out.

luckily for them a bands first gig will pull a load of their mates

From what I've heard the bands playing aren't playing for the first time And really to be honest @ 1 entry its gonna be a good night and if its not your thing then you can get drunk or leave and it wont have dented your pockets!

Just a message to every who thinks our name is funny (schmuk) we named ourselves that for the exact reasons talked about on this post. Rage are great and so are Franz (fair enough if you dont like them but its funky and we only do one of their songs).

I also want to say ive heard my downfall play once and im really looking forward to playing with you guys!

Come along ppl it promises to be a gd night!

Onion Terror played a foyer live night about a year ago... 4 Bands in drummonds, and the place had well over 500 people through the doors, 'twas absolutely packed and most folk had a rare time. We also got 100 which is more than we've had for any two other gigs we've played to date. Although since the door money was split 5-ways, 1 to the foyer and 4 to the bands, i'm guessing there's a no-fee agreement on the venues part; or the foyer use money from their annual budget to cover the costs. Either way it works out for everyone. Guess i'll pop around to this one.

From what I've heard the bands playing aren't playing for the first time And really to be honest @ 1 entry its gonna be a good night and if its not your thing then you can get drunk or leave and it wont have dented your pockets!

Just a message to every who thinks our name is funny (schmuk) we named ourselves that for the exact reasons talked about on this post. Rage are great and so are Franz (fair enough if you dont like them but its funky and we only do one of their songs).

I also want to say ive heard my downfall play once and im really looking forward to playing with you guys!

Come along ppl it promises to be a gd night!

Where you heard us man?

Hearing some good stuff about you guys, should be a well good night.

Do you play many covers in your set?

Just wondering.

Shall see yis at le gig!

'm guessing there's a no-fee agreement on the venues part; or the foyer use money from their annual budget to cover the costs. Either way it works out for everyone. Guess i'll pop around to this one.

I don't think there's any venues that charge a fee for usage of the place, is there? Some might cover the cost of the staff, but..

I was wondering the same thing actually - do the Foyer subsidise their gigs at all, or is it all dependent on door money?

Guest Startex
I don't think there's any venues that charge a fee for usage of the place' date=' is there? Some might cover the cost of the staff, but..

I was wondering the same thing actually - do the Foyer subsidise their gigs at all, or is it all dependent on door money?[/quote']

Foyer Music doesn't have a budget to use to cover any costs! The money that we charge for rehearsing and recording doesn't even cover the staff, let alone the costs.

We are constantly searching for funding to cover the costs. We only decide to run a gig when we have a line-up that justifies it. We only use venues that ain't going to charge us so they cost nothing to put on. By the way, The Lemon Tree will charge you several hundred quid if you want to run a gig there as their costs are so high. As we have our own crew to run the shows we don't have any costs so give all the door money to the bands. The gig with Onion Terror was different from usual as, due to it being so busy, the venue suggested that Foyer Music should be given a share, which the bands very kindly agreed to.

By the way, I know this whole message board has a reputation for slagging people off, but please people, Paul at Kef has to earn his income from the gigs he puts on. If he doesn't make money from gigs he will lose his home and starve! Give him a break!

Hope to see at least 500 of you at The Tunnels!! :rockon:

Guest Startex
all this talk of shows makes me wish my band was still intact

Well we're also needing people to play acoustic the following night night at Kilau Coffee Company. Not up for that?

Where you heard us man?

Hearing some good stuff about you guys' date=' should be a well good night.

Do you play many covers in your set?

Just wondering.

Shall see yis at le gig![/quote']

I heard you play a battle of the bands last year at Drummonds (cant rememnber when) dave from the foyer has also played me some stuff. as the set is only 30 mins we wont be playing any covers so it'll be all our own stuff.

see you there

Haha!!

Battle of the bands was hilarious, although not at the time!!

Everything broke and we got laughed off stage!!

We've changed a lot since that demo you'll have heard like, new drummer, me singing instead of the old guy etc.

Have you got all your posters and stuff, yeah?

Haha!!

Battle of the bands was hilarious' date=' although not at the time!!

Everything broke and we got laughed off stage!!

We've changed a lot since that demo you'll have heard like, new drummer, me singing instead of the old guy etc.

Have you got all your posters and stuff, yeah?[/quote']

I didn't laugh you off stage i thought you guys were ace. I hate playing drummonds battle of the bands- good for the sake of playing a gig though.

Yeah all the posters are up.