aberdeen-music

Epi Zakk Wylde for sale

HateEvent

re

The way I see it, with online stuff - which tends to have no warranty - I'd rather buy local so I'm better safe than sorry, just in case ya know?! Working in R&B kinda influences my decisions to buy local. I understand that if people see stuff cheaper from say Merchant City (their prices ARE excellent) then fair do's, go to them.

As Narc said, if asked something can usually be done on the prices, or stuff thrown in or whatever, but I guess if not asked I wouldn't go and look around before finalising the sale to make sure others don't do it cheaper! Also, if often buying local from the same place, you become known and will get stuff for better prices than the tag states, or at least I've seen examples of that being the case before.

All in all, personal preference, if you don't wanna shop somewhere, you don't! James

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest DustyDeviada

All in all' date=' personal preference, if you don't wanna shop somewhere, you don't![/quote']

Indeed, but I have spent over 5,000 on high end guitars over the last four years - and none of it has gone to Bruce Millers or R&B. I wonder how many other people are in the same boat...

Well i agree with the obvious fact that Bruce millers' prices are far too high and sometimes i feel that they target people who dont know what they are buying and rip them off through the sale of showy/glitzy guitars that sound like crap :down: . But R&B less so, i recently bought a second hand strat off them for a very very good price and in general their prices are quite similar to prosound's, although i like the small store vibe going on when you walk into Prosound-favourite shop in aberdeen.

By the way isnt this a for sale thread not an anti bruce millers thread? :D

Guest DustyDeviada

This is in no way a dis to the guys who work in R&B - but - I think the standards have dropped in there in recent times.

When I used to go into the shop at Rosemount, and even when they first moved to the Green, I would usually always be served by one of the three guys who (I think) owned the place. They (the guy with moustache, the guy with glasses with the bald head, and another guy with glasses) were all obviously very knowledgable and passionate about music. The bald guy had a sarcastic kind of style, but he really knew his stuff. I think, sadly he died. He did an excellent set up on one of my Les pauls a couple a years ago, and several people have told me that he couldn't be touched in Scotland on guitar work.

Anyway, in the last couple of years the place seems to be staffed almost entirely by quite young guys who really don't have that extensive knowledege that was there before. As I said, this isn't meant to be a dis at them, but I think there should always be at least one person with more experience, or more staff training.

You forget that R&B and Millers are independent music stores. We got a couple of Les Pauls in' date=' but we can't offer the same discount that big chains and internet stores can offer when they buy 7 million guitars on bulk orders. Haggling is part of the business, yes. Wouldnt you rather support somewhere local? But if you can get it cheaper, great. I just hate pricks who come in and say "ooh i can get that cheaper elsewhere". Fuck off then.[/quote']

i dont believe merchant city is part of a big chain....i believe i'm right in saying they are independant too...the difference might be that they dont have enormous aberdeen overheads like higher rates and staffing costs....

The way I see it' date=' with online stuff - which tends to have no warranty - I'd rather buy local so I'm better safe than sorry, just in case ya know?! Working in R&B kinda influences my decisions to buy local. I understand that if people see stuff cheaper from say Merchant City (their prices ARE excellent) then fair do's, go to them.

As Narc said, if asked something can usually be done on the prices, or stuff thrown in or whatever, but I guess if not asked I wouldn't go and look around before finalising the sale to make sure others don't do it cheaper! Also, if often buying local from the same place, you become known and will get stuff for better prices than the tag states, or at least I've seen examples of that being the case before.

All in all, personal preference, if you don't wanna shop somewhere, you don't! James[/quote']

i think on line stuff does have warrantee...especially if u r buying new....otherwise i'd more or less support what u r saying....to me, mail order/ internet guitars are a crap idea...i'd prefer to try a heap of guitars before parting with hard earned....subsequently u might pay a few hundred bux just sending stuff back and forward....if u apply the same approach to internet purchases....

• 2 years later...
This is in no way a dis to the guys who work in R&B - but - I think the standards have dropped in there in recent times.

When I used to go into the shop at Rosemount, and even when they first moved to the Green, I would usually always be served by one of the three guys who (I think) owned the place. They (the guy with moustache, the guy with glasses with the bald head, and another guy with glasses) were all obviously very knowledgable and passionate about music. The bald guy had a sarcastic kind of style, but he really knew his stuff. I think, sadly he died. He did an excellent set up on one of my Les pauls a couple a years ago, and several people have told me that he couldn't be touched in Scotland on guitar work.

Anyway, in the last couple of years the place seems to be staffed almost entirely by quite young guys who really don't have that extensive knowledege that was there before. As I said, this isn't meant to be a dis at them, but I think there should always be at least one person with more experience, or more staff training.

o_O

He's not dead...

I've been in merchant city probably about 5-6 times with a car and still it saved me quite a lot by shopping there.

It's hard to force yourself to buy something in a local shop for bigger price knowing that you can get a better thing for the same money or the one you're interested for less somewhere else especially if you don't have much. Even worse when it comes to selling a used instrument, why would someone want to pay the same price for a used instrument when they can get a new one :popcorn: ... for grown people probably these few extra hundreds doesn't make big difference but for me as a kid it does..

I didn't like when one of the owners in RnB (i think) started slagging off Yngwie after i asked him if they've got yngwies signature strings :(

By the way, what's the name of the new amps in RnB ? Kinda cream colour and starts with a R (-:

you should be dissin the guys at RnB, inmny experience they have been moronic at best

hahaha

Thats great!

I get labelled as moronic for having a passion for music and a desire to try and help people acheive what they wanna acheive with music. Thanks. Thanks a lot. It makes it all worth while knowing that the advice, trying to get the best for people trying to make people happy with their shitty pedantic existence was appreciated.

Guest DustyDeviada
hahaha

Thats great!

I get labelled as moronic for having a passion for music and a desire to try and help people acheive what they wanna acheive with music. Thanks. Thanks a lot. It makes it all worth while knowing that the advice, trying to get the best for people trying to make people happy with their shitty pedantic existence was appreciated.

Chill out dude, he was talking about Hate Event. ;;)

Guest DustyDeviada

I'm hardly ever in R&B these days but credit where credit's due - when I did go in recently I received excellent service, but it was from the owner dude with the moustache. That's not to say I wouldn't have received excellent service from any of the other guys, who knows, but he just happened to serve me first.