aberdeen-music

Bass Guitar Recommendations

Davey Boy

i have a budget of 300 squids and i need a new bass

i was wondering if you kind people could recommend one for me i want the best sound for the price.

i was looking at a thunderbird and even tried one at R&B and i was impressed.

i play very rough, with alot of slap. plectrums need not apply for my hands :)

thoughts...??

Thanks, Dave.

Ibanez Soudn Gear Serises

www.ibanez.com Check out the site and their ranges. The SG serises offers lots of tonal shaping and great playability. The thin necks are a joy to play. I have have an SG300 and I love it to peices, should be around your price bracket. Active electronics allow for a variety of different tones from thundering bass to that pop and slap sound alot of people like. Plenty of room for digging under the strings at the body end but slender enough at the neck for ease of playability. If you are looking for something more rough and ready their SRX serises should do the trick.

Guest texjamm
Originally posted by Vegetable Man:

You should be shot for playing slap bass...disgusting!

Yeah, yeah, yeah......I bet you also tell guitarists not to use distortion, drummers not to play 'open handed' and vocalists not to use vibrato or dynamics!!!

What's the issue with slap bass? Its just another technique that can give a track a completely different feel.

Okay there are some exponents of the slap craft that have gone totally overboard, but as with any technique, it should be used to enhance a track and not overpower it.

I notice from your profile you play bass as one of your instruments. I bet at some time or other youve tried different techniques, be it finger style, chords, effects, plectrum or even having a sly slap in the privacy of your own home (oo er!).

Anyway back to something more constructive a bass for 300. Are you looking for a 4 or 5 string? I personally would look for something second hand from a private buyer. You will usually get more for your money. You dont say how soon you want a bass. If youre not in a rush then Id advise saving up about 500 and look for a Musicman, Jazz (early Squire or actual Fender). The extra money will increase the choice you have and the bass should last you longer and hold its value better than a brand new Ibanez, Aria or Cort etc. (Note: I tried a nice Ibanez 6 string for about 375 in Bruce Millers)

Hope this helps.

Guest Philip
Originally posted by texjamm:

Yeah, yeah, yeah......I bet you also tell guitarists not to use distortion, drummers not to play 'open handed' and vocalists not to use vibrato or dynamics!!!

What's the issue with slap bass? Its just another technique that can give a track a completely different feel.

Okay there are some exponents of the slap craft that have gone totally overboard, but as with any technique, it should be used to enhance a track and not overpower it.

I notice from your profile you play bass as one of your instruments. I bet at some time or other youve tried different techniques, be it finger style, chords, effects, plectrum or even having a sly slap in the privacy of your own home (oo er!).

I dont tell anyone how to play their instrument, but if a bassist were to start playing slap-(yuk!)-bass, I would have to rush to the toilet in order to vomit...

then come back and carry on where we left off... until the next 'pop/beung'... It's a vicious circle I tell yeh!

Originally posted by Vegetable Man:

I dont tell anyone how to play their instrument, but if a bassist were to start playing slap-(yuk!)-bass, I would have to rush to the toilet in order to vomit...

then come back and carry on where we left off... until the next 'pop/beung'... It's a vicious circle I tell yeh!

is your hatred of slap deriving from the fact that you cant do it???

just a question :)

thanks guys you have been some help so far. im kinda in a rush to buy a bass because the money i have now maybe gone in 4 weeks and id rather spend it on something worthwhile rather than whittle it away on drink.

im in the market for a warwick but my budget says nae! :(

im keen on the thunderbird in R&B and u can get it 80 quid cheaper from flyingpig.

i love jazz basses also but i cant buy one unless on credit and i dunno if ill get credit :p

i really need to just try everything but whenever i go into R&B i never get the chance. i tried a Precision and a Jazz at Brucies im leaning toward the jazz there.

i want something that sounds great but i think im fighting a losing battle.

Originally posted by Rising Signs:

I just recently bought a Epiphone Jack Cassady signature bass and its without doubt the greatest bass iv ever used.Far better than a Ricky i think.Gives a great 60's tone,is hollow bodied and looks cool as fuck.

Definately not made for slap bass though thats for sure.

Thanks but i think im going with my first inkle.

Ta all