Best Boy Band Ever?

psydoll

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Zeenat Aman
I daresay I could find something from the same era' date=' or maybe before, that sounded exactly like the Beatles and just didn't get the same exposure, but I can't be arsed :p[/quote']

I'll save you the bother...

this is maybe's, as I haven't heard em, but they were around at the same time(maybe before also) and also from liverpool.

Rory Storm and the Hurricanes.

The Big Three

These two bands apparently kicked the proverbial ass live!

usually a lack of instruments when appearing on totp is the criteria for being classed as a boy band - though not always the case (monkees, busted, mcfly are three examples of boy bands with instruments).

and another example of an ace boy band who had instruments - the mighty bay city rollers!

I daresay I could find something from the same era' date=' or maybe before, that sounded exactly like the Beatles and just didn't get the same exposure, but I can't be arsed :p[/quote']

Go on then try. It'll be like searching for the Holy Grail, it won't be found because it doesn't exist. The Beatles like it or not started the whole band scene off. Elvis, Buddy Holy, Chuck Berry etc influenced them and they may have played similar covers to a lot of bands before they signed with Parlophone but they started writing their own unique stuff and just went off into orbit.

By the way what does the line "Phoney Beatlemania has bitten the dust mean.." maybe it's a reference to all the "next Beatles" type bands who crumpled into a heap after 3 singles.

If the Beatles started off today' date=' they'd be classified as a boyband. [/quote']

I disagree, they formed by themsleves, gigged like fuck, sang, played their instruments, wrote their own songs, progressed musically and most importantly had brains and wit. Therefore they would not and never will be classed as a "Boy Band".

In fact their appearence in this thread is that of sheer ignorance :gringo:

Guest Zeenat Aman
... without the Beatles' date=' music as we know it would not exist. They would just be a bizarre underground band sneered at by smart young men in cardigans ripping off Mr. Acker Bilk licks...[/quote']

Yikes, one daren't even begin to imagine such a world!!!

yeah wilson is cool, but the others look dog rough! i think the low point was the version of fun fun fun with status quo, i mean i like both bands but that really took the piss!

another ace boy band were slick who featured a very young midge ure

Oh' date=' seeing BW as a backing vocalist for the 'Quo made me want to die! What was he thinking? I'm pretty sure he changed management and advisors straight after that sorry debacle.[/quote']

i remember seeing them 'perform' the song on cilla black's 'suprise suprise' show - at least wilson sorted himself out...

i believe the rest of the beach boys are still taking their zimmer frames round the caberat circuit

I'm not saying I would classify them as a boy band' date=' I'm saying that if they began their career today, they would most likely be part of the music industry production line of clean-cut, good looking young men who play nice pop songs for girls and have their material written by someone else. They wouldn't have a chance to evolve in the same way they did in the 60's, and most likely they would be on the scrapheap by the time their third album came out.

But such talk is meaningless hypothesising, as I said before.

There is no bigger Beatles fan than me, but I do accept that they were image conscious and conformed to the wishes of Brian Epstein and Parlophone in terms of career decisions in their early years, in the same way The Hollies, Herman's Hermits, Manfred Mann, Gerry And The Pacemakers, The Searchers etc. did so. Beat groups were the 60's equivalent of boy bands.[/quote']

Being image conscious is not really valid argument as all bands were / are e.g. The Rolling Stones built their entire career on a creation by Loog Oldham of being the bad boys and rivals of The Beatles (which many people seem to forget). In fact image plays an important part of any successful group / artists from Elvis. Led Zeppelin, Sex Pistols, Public Enemy and Marilyn Manson, nobody likes a bland and dull imageless artist so you must therefore throw all bands into that equation. RemeberThe Beatles, played the game but took the piss and broke down a lot of the establishment bullshit within the entertainment world.

Another thing is the likes of McFly, even though they are a "band" are just running over the same, safe formulas. I saw McFly the other day on TV and they were very "nice" with "nice" harmonies and "nice" predicable cheesy 60's type songs. They are regressing music for a market that is stale and it is a completely different place to the exciting era where The Beatles, Byrds, Stones, Who etc existed in.

If a group of individulas like The Beatles existed now they would exist in the cutting edge of whatever would be happening rather than on a boy bandwagon.