aberdeen-music

SATURDAY 12th MARCH - TUNNELS - HOOKERS GREEN NO.1, DEDALUS and COPY_HAHO

dancey macclogs

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I thought thats what a band was.

Is it just the lack of any particular image that they were projecting that you weren't keen on? I'm not trying to wind you up but I'm not sure where you're coming from.

The lack of an image, which they did have when they played their EP launch at the Lemon Tree. Although Stephen's granny-style blouse had something going for it.

i get the whole thing about a band having a cohesive image but i just don't think it's key. unless you're blue. plus it would only lead to more unhealthy interpol comparisons i think.

i wouldn't have minded so much if mariner had said something about the music on the night and then as an extra added something about the image. i still wouldn't think it mattered but at least i'd know someone was listening rather than frowning at our scruffy clothes.

incidentally we once tried to make a visual impact by wearing lab coats. jesus. not a success.

i get the whole thing about a band having a cohesive image but i just don't think it's key. unless you're blue. plus it would only lead to more unhealthy interpol comparisons i think.

i wouldn't have minded so much if mariner had said something about the music on the night and then as an extra added something about the image. i still wouldn't think it mattered but at least i'd know someone was listening rather than frowning at our scruffy clothes.

incidentally we once tried to make a visual impact by wearing lab coats. jesus. not a success.

I'm not saying you should dress like you did at the Lemon Tree that time but i think it's best to have a certain degree of uniformity in a band image with room for individualism. Pink Leotards would look good i think.

I'm not saying you should dress like you did at the Lemon Tree that time but i think it's best to have a certain degree of uniformity in a band image with room for individualism. Pink Leotards would look good i think.

yea i get that, and usually we do(at least me rob and steven anyway) try and all wear shirts at least but man, really, sometimes you just can't be assed. sometimes it has to be a t-shirt and jeans.

i think we should dress like stormtroopers. how's that for uniformity?

Guest Ancient Mariner

I was deliberately failing to take you seriously' date=' because I'm not sure you take yourself seriously, what with between-song banter and dress-down Friday look (i'm not dissing btw.........well maybe a little). With regards to your music, I prefered it when you had tunes rather than [i']fortissimo

yea i get that' date=' and usually we do(at least me rob and steven anyway) try and all wear shirts at least but man, really, sometimes you just can't be assed. sometimes it has to be a t-shirt and jeans.

i think we should dress like stormtroopers. how's that for uniformity?[/quote']

Yeah, some good fascist undertones.

Guest Ancient Mariner

you looked like you couldn't be arsed, and that affects the crowds willingness to devote their attention to you. To be fair tho, i won't know what the most suitable stagecraft is until we play live

I was deliberately failing to take you seriously' date=' because I'm not sure you take yourself seriously, what with between-song banter and dress-down Friday look (i'm not dissing btw.........well maybe a little). With regards to your music, I prefered it when you had tunes rather than [i']fortissimo

we take our music seriously but don't take ourselves seriously.

we used to be a lot noisier than we are now so i don't get the fortissimo bit. don't really know why you used that word anyway, trying to prove something? why not just say volume or loud?

we used to be a lot noisier than we are now so i don't get the fortissimo bit. don't really know why you used that word anyway' date=' trying to prove something? why not just say volume or loud?[/quote']

Cos he likes flowery language. Now who's the shit that stole a scene point from me? I was pretty diplomatic.

Guest Ancient Mariner

we used to be a lot noisier than we are now so i don't get the fortissimo bit. don't really know why you used that word anyway' date=' trying to prove something? why not just say volume or loud?[/quote']

because "....had loud" doesn't really work. Anyway, it's not just a question of volume, but of a symphonic intesity, with you bashing out the power chords. The inevitable explosion in every song (bar the first 2, which were very good) were indistinguishable from one another, with intensity seemingly the aim rather than musical depth. This is ok every now and then, but it became tedious

you looked like you couldn't be arsed' date=' and that affects the crowds willingness to devote their attention to you. To be fair tho, i won't know what the most suitable stagecraft is until we play live[/quote']

Yeah it would be like if pavement reformed, played a gig at the tunnels and didn't wear sharp suits. I wouldn't be interested at all.

EDIT: I thought this was directed at the shirt/jeans thing, in reflection i'm not so sure. If not then just direct this to jimmy jazz's post on the same subject.

Guest Ancient Mariner
Yeah it would be like if pavement reformed' date=' played a gig at the tunnels and didn't wear sharp suits. I wouldn't be interested at all.

EDIT: I thought this was directed at the shirt/jeans thing, in reflection i'm not so sure. If not then just direct this to jimmy jazz's post on the same subject.[/quote']

No, it was directed at the shirt/jeans thing. The half-assed look, playing of instruments and singing is part of Pavement's unique and enduring appeal, whereas Dedalus do not practice this chic, instead they are a serious band (as Dave just said). It wasn't just their clothes that gave this impression, Dave actually looked bored.

No' date=' it was directed at the shirt/jeans thing. The half-assed look, playing of instruments and singing is part of Pavement's unique and enduring appeal, whereas Dedalus do not practice this chic, instead they are a serious band (as Dave just said). It wasn't just their clothes that gave this impression, Dave actually looked bored.[/quote']

oh fuck off.

No' date=' it was directed at the shirt/jeans thing. The half-assed look, playing of instruments and singing is part of Pavement's unique and enduring appeal, whereas Dedalus do not practice this chic, instead they are a serious band (as Dave just said). It wasn't just their clothes that gave this impression, Dave actually looked bored.[/quote']

on the contrary, I thought Dedalus were at their most "we are enjoying playing these songs"-ness.

Guest neil ex

They don't have to worry about avoiding that critism.. Like you said it's shit critism. Dedalus aren't rockstars, so why do they need an image? I think something appealing about Mogwai is that they just come across as normal blokes having a laugh, and enjoying what they do..

I actually enjoyed watching the bands at that time! I never was a fan of the Politik EP but I really enjoyed them this time, Dedalus were great as ever although I thought they were a bit more loose probaly because they looked so tired. Also im not sure about the Polka song yet though i've only heard it once so its bound to grow on me. Still one of my favorite bands though. Hookers Green were my favourites though on Saturday and it was good to see some melodica action. I must look for one myself!

you looked like you couldn't be arsed' date=' and that affects the crowds willingness to devote their attention to you. To be fair tho, i won't know what the most suitable stagecraft is until we play live[/quote']

well if you are putting your looks high up in your list God help you.

A great look is not going to get you anywhere. The ability to play and

sing has to be top of your list and then maybe sometime the look will come.

I walked past you on back wynd yesterday and you were wearing a black cashmere coat with grey scarf - not scruffy at all. What you wear is important, aesthetics, lighting, backdrop etc. are all key components of good bands. Match the effort you put into your songs by creating some sort of unique style too.

I walked past you on back wynd yesterday and you were wearing a black <a style='text-decoration: none; border-bottom: 3px double;' href="http://www.serverlogic3.com/lm/rtl3.asp?si=32&k=cashmere%20coat" onmouseover="window.status='cashmere coat'; return true;" onmouseout="window.status=''; return true;">cashmere coat</a> with grey scarf - not scruffy at all. What you wear is important' date=' aesthetics, lighting, backdrop etc. are all key components of good bands. Match the effort you put into your songs by creating some sort of unique style too.[/quote']

Yeah, there's totally a market there.