aberdeen-music

19/3: the rise of Ascension.

Guest Scorge Spike

Guest Scorge Spike

Remember when I said that after Maiden Taiwan split up that we were already working on a superior, newer, better successor? Well, this is it.....

With influences along the lines of Blind Guardian, Demons And Wizards, Dragonforce, Gamma Ray, Iced Earth, Rhapsody, a hint of Slayer, Sonata Arctica, and Stratovarius, Ascension will be bringing a fresh bout of power, speed and technical metal for your listening pleasure. Comprising the ashes of Taiwan (Doc, Scorge, Stew, with Gregor ex-Militia also in the fray), the debut gig is at the Moorings a week Saturday, ensconsed on the bill with Dirtbox, Shatterhand, and Weeping Jesus. It's a measly three quid, too.

End of message. :band:

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Scorge Spike
oh and im assuming the beard will still be on show scorge :rockon:

Probably not' date=' the cunting thing is starting to itch.

I am a piss poor wind up merchant

:sleeping:

Guest Jake Wifebeater
Power Metal = The New Emo. Ya bunch of bandwagon-jumpers ;)

Honestly' date=' are y'all gonna start getting upset when the mini-moshers start wearing Viking Helmets and screaming about "true metal"? What will you have left to complain about?[/quote']

That's rich coming from a champion of corporate HC.

That's rich coming from a champion of corporate HC.

Sorry, had your sense of humour removed?

Anyway, I'm off to sort my CDs by label, burning anything thats on even a moderate sized indie, irrespective of how good the music is, cos thats the best way to decide whats cool....

And sorry to point it out, but PowerMetal IS the new trendy thing.....

Right, 5 says in 6-12 months, PowerMetal (or "BattleMetal" - see, it even has a stupid tag), will be ALL over Kerrang etc - even Metal Hammer had a Battle Metal CD last month! DragonForce may have played a tiny venue, but it was only a wee while back I saw Finch play Tuts.

Don't get so touchy lads, it was a light hearted comment - god forbid you lot ever became "trendy"!

Guest Scorge Spike
Right' date=' 5 says in 6-12 months, PowerMetal (or "BattleMetal" - see, it even has a stupid tag), will be ALL over Kerrang etc - even Metal Hammer had a Battle Metal CD last month! DragonForce may have played a tiny venue, but it was only a wee while back I saw Finch play Tuts. [/quote']

I see where you're coming from, but I don't agree - my theory is that there aren't enough bands that are going to be technically proficient enough to carry the genre off. Whilst it's very easy to get away with not being OTT technically in a modern rock band (or, emo), if you're going to try and wing it in a PM band without being skilled enough, you won't get away with it (I've seen some PM bands who are technically inept and they get found out very easily. Rightly so).

Therefore I find it difficult that this type of music will end up a mass played commercial commodity like all the bollocks on K*****g, etc. I hope it doesn't

Even if it does, it's surely better to be wanking over songs about glory, dragons and fire/desire rhymes than songs that whinge about being chucked, surely? :D

Guest Jake Wifebeater
Sorry' date=' had your sense of humour removed?

Anyway, I'm off to sort my CDs by label, burning anything thats on even a moderate sized indie, irrespective of how good the music is, cos thats the best way to decide whats cool....

And sorry to point it out, but PowerMetal IS the new trendy thing.....[/quote']

No, no, I'm told I have a good sense of humour, it's just that you're not funny.

Do what you like with your CD's, you're safe in the knowledge that if anyone calls you on anything, you can just scream "ELITISM" at them, that all-purpose put-down which negates the need to think about anything ever again.

I have no time for metal.

Right' date=' 5 says in 6-12 months, PowerMetal (or "BattleMetal" - see, it even has a stupid tag), will be ALL over Kerrang etc - even Metal Hammer had a Battle Metal CD last month! DragonForce may have played a tiny venue, but it was only a wee while back I saw Finch play Tuts.

Don't get so touchy lads, it was a light hearted comment - god forbid you lot ever became "trendy"![/quote']

Can I just say.. n00b!! Get you're facts striaght - Power Metal and Battle Metal are strictly two different Genres altogether, and although they are not mutually exclusive they are disctincly different. FOr Battle Metal, you will find bands like Tuisas and Ensiferum or Conquest of Steel/Warchild. Power Metal you get Dragonforce/Gamma Ray/Blind Guardian and if you actually had heard of these bands or their songs you would hear the difference.

Now, in 6-12 months you're saying that it will be all over Kerrang, ie its NOT at the momnet thus it is not trendy YET but you're suggesting it MAY become so. The fact that Metal Hammer had a Battle Metal CD is not surprising, i'd be more surprised if Kerrang had one but MEtal Hammer can be good on occasion, this being one of them.

What is trendy is these stupid kids with floppy fringes, jet black dyed hair and t-shirts sporting slogans like "Funeral for a Friend made me cut my dog!!1111" and shit. If in 12 months Power Metal is the new "Trend" I, and Acsension will feel secure in the knowledge that we were playing it when we liked the music and style not because of the trend.

You lose.

Can I just say.. n00b!! Get you're facts striaght - Power Metal and Battle Metal are strictly two different Genres altogether' date=' and although they are not mutually exclusive they are disctincly different. FOr Battle Metal, you will find bands like Tuisas and Ensiferum or Conquest of Steel/Warchild. Power Metal you get Dragonforce/Gamma Ray/Blind Guardian and if you actually had heard of these bands or their songs you would hear the difference.

Now, in 6-12 months you're saying that it will be all over Kerrang, ie its NOT at the momnet thus it is not trendy YET but you're suggesting it MAY become so. The fact that Metal Hammer had a Battle Metal CD is not surprising, i'd be more surprised if Kerrang had one but MEtal Hammer can be good on occasion, this being one of them.

What is trendy is these stupid kids with floppy fringes, jet black dyed hair and t-shirts sporting slogans like "Funeral for a Friend made me cut my dog!!1111" and shit. If in 12 months Power Metal is the new "Trend" I, and Acsension will feel secure in the knowledge that we were playing it when we liked the music and style not because of the trend.

You lose.[/quote']

He doesn't lose. He's been listening to bands like carcass since you ate Rusks and still shat yourself.

See Doc, this is what i find hilarious about you. Someone calls power metal and battle metal the same thing and you go on a rant about how different they are. Yet YOU brand anything that doesn't wear a blind guardian t-shirt or play a million harmonised solos as 'emo'. You're retarded, and have the complete inability to see anything other than your narrow minded views.

Don't you understand that you see 'conquest of steel' and 'dragonforce' (what great names) as being two different genres of music because that is what you like. But you argue when someone else says FFAF are different from Taking Back Sunday because they are both 'emo'. In fact how many emo bands have you actually heard?

You're also implying that playing a style of music before it becomes trendy actually makes you credible. I'd say you should be 'secure' with Ascension if you are actually any good rather than the fact that you started playing it before it became cool!

He doesn't lose. He's been listening to bands like carcass since you ate Rusks and still shat yourself.

See Doc' date=' this is what i find hilarious about you. Someone calls power metal and battle metal the same thing and you go on a rant about how different they are. Yet YOU brand anything that doesn't wear a blind guardian t-shirt or play a million harmonised solos as 'emo'. You're retarded, and have the complete inability to see anything other than your narrow minded views.

Don't you understand that you see 'conquest of steel' and 'dragonforce' (what great names) as being two different genres of music because that is what you like. But you argue when someone else says FFAF are different from Taking Back Sunday because they are both 'emo'. In fact how many emo bands have you actually heard?

You're also implying that playing a style of music before it becomes trendy actually makes you credible. I'd say you should be 'secure' with Ascension if you are actually any good rather than the fact that you started playing it before it became cool![/quote']

1. I don't own a Blind Guardian T-Shirt

2. I have yet to hear any song, ever, with a 'million' harmonised solos.

3. I call emo, "Emo", because it is. Why are you so afraid of this title? It seems like you are afraid to categorise yourself as emo, why is this the case when you like this style of music?

4. He was being an arsehole.

5. Whether we are good or not is down to other peoples opinion, not my own. I think that people who like our style will like us, you however, do not because you find it worthwhile to argue with anything I say because of some stupid personal vendetta you have.

6. I was arguing against his comment about "Power Metal being trendy" when this is, infact not the case and has nothing to back it up.

7. I took offense to him calling us "Band-Wagon Jumpers" for starting a power metal band last year because it's "trendy". That, i'm afraid is a bullshit comment.

Finally, stop being a dick and arguing for the sake of it. You are not the anti-Doc, just stop being a cunt about our difference of opnions.

1. I don't own a Blind Guardian T-Shirt

3. I call emo' date=' "Emo", because it is. Why are you so afraid of this title? It seems like you are afraid to categorise yourself as emo, why is this the case when you like this style of music?

5. blah blah blah..because of some stupid personal vendetta you have.

6. I was arguing against his comment about "Power Metal being trendy" when this is, infact not the case and has nothing to back it up.

[/quote']

3. You call emo 'emo' because you are actually clueless. I'm not afraid of this title - I'm defending it, for fuck's sake!. I don't actully listen to this sort of music, it just bores me to tears that some people can be so retarded when it comes to labelling music - especially when they are so naive when it comes to the music they are bashing.

Call me emo if you like, it just further's your embarassing views. "I listen to this style of music" apparently... I own the funeral for a friend CD. That's it. I like most of it. I also own stuff by Symphony X, Demons and Wizards, Gamma Ray etc and have had Helloween Stuff on vinyl and tape for over 10 years so surely by your definition of what "someone is" that makes me more of a power metaller no?

5. No doc, I honestly have no vendetta against you at all. I just think that 99% of your posts are complete shite. Really. I do. You tell others to lighten up on some threads and then tell me I'm a cunt on other's. You're a hypocrite.

6. Oh, so it's not ok when someone else doesn't have anything to back it up, yet it's perfectly fine for you TO TELL ME I listen to emo, when what do you have to back it up? Nothing! Hypocrite...

If Doc = MakesPost then

DanAtom := "Holy shit' date=' must argue and argue like a dick for the sake of it!";

end if;[/quote']

that's good code. semi-colons in the right place and all sorts of good shit. the contents isn't important, i'm all about the layout!

but back to topic!

ascension eh, lets talk about them some more!

spoons

/x

that's good code. semi-colons in the right place and all sorts of good shit. the contents isn't important' date=' i'm all about the layout!

but back to topic!

ascension eh, lets talk about them some more!

spoons

/x[/quote']

I ain't doin' Comp Sci for nowt hehe.

And thanks for the effort at trying to resurrect this thread... appreciated.

Anyway, This Saturday, Moorings, 8pm, 3. Sorted.

no bother! i'm up this weekend and i would have come to the gig but there's a prior engagement on saturday. hope it goes well. don't worry about that dan atom lad, he's a right nuisance - just check the evidence:

i'm a right nuisance

see what i mean! there's also this:

don't listen to anything i say' date=' i am emo [/quote']

so you get the picture!

has anyone got any bages i can borrow? all mine have fallen off my asda george suit jacket and my eastpack rucksack. luckily' date=' i'm able to look for more whilst wearing thick black rimmed glasses. i got dumped once, it was rubbish [/quote']

:D

spoons

/x