aberdeen-music

Warnings/Promises

allstardawn

What does everyone think of it? i got it today & to be honest I'm not that impressed. It's too acousticy. Some acoustic is good, but it's just like a completely different direction for Idlewild. Some more crazy trakcs (From the Hope is Important/100 Broken Windows era) would have been good. Saying that, I want A Warning is quite a good track.

Opinions?

Having given it a couple of listens, I have to say that I'm not impressed - it's not the fact that it's 'folky' (their cover of 'It'll Take A Long Time' by Sandy Denny of Fairport Convention fame was ace), it's just the fact that the songs don't seem to be any good.

Maybe it's a grower, but for me, the songs just aren't good or interesting enough. And I never thought I'd think of Idelwild as bland.

captain and hope is important were total punk' date=' 100 broken windows was a bit more commercial...and then it all went wrong. i havent heard the new album but i imagine from the last one that it will be weak. I want it fast with screaming dammit.[/quote']

you just summed up EXACTLY what i think.

hurrah to you :)

I think's it great but definitely a grower and i can imagine some older fans just not having the patience for it. I do think that it could do with losing a few of the weaker tracks and i noticed that all the louder tracks start with squealing and noise rather any melody like they are trying to compensate for the quieter songs.

What does everyone think of it? i got it today & to be honest I'm not that impressed. It's too acousticy. Some acoustic is good' date=' but it's just like a completely different direction for Idlewild. Some more crazy trakcs (From the Hope is Important/100 Broken Windows era) would have been good. Saying that, I want A Warning is quite a good track.

Opinions?[/quote']

I hate reviews because I tend to be unwillingly pushed to question my own opinions. The 'Fly' review said that 'I want a warning' was crap but I heard it on the radio before I read the review and yeah it came across as pretty gash. Got the CD today and I don't think the review has influenced the fact that I don't like that song...

Enough about that track, to be honest I don't know what to make of it yet. It definately doesn't hit you and say "I'm a great record!" but I'm willing to listen to Roddy who says it will probably take a while to get into. I don't think it will outshine '100 Broken Windows' cos thats one of my favourite albums but I'd hate to sound like I'm dwelling on the 'good old days' because they've moved on.

The review from the guardian said they'd written a collection of good REM songs and I never truly grasped this age-old comparison until I heard 'I understand it' which is indeed a good song and wouldn't have sounded out of place on 'Document' or 'Green'. I definitely like that song so far....

Jesus I've written an essay!