aberdeen-music

When your band has made an album

Hog

We were planning to make an own release album, and started to record it at the end of summer. Now we have 1 finished track and 2 nearly done. So its an EP then.

On the plus side its a home laboratory job, so we are not faced with studio clocks seeming to run in double time. It must depend on how much you have worked out in pre-procuction, or if the studio is involved as part of the writing process.

Other bands times will probably vary wildly according to budget and organisation I suppose.

i think its awesome for bands that are able to spend months in a studio.....I think I'd lose my patience after 2 or 3 months....the last Green Day album was the guts of year (if not more)

The Inept 303 EP consisted of a good few afternoons/evenings at Exile...and even then I think we could have spent a bit more time tidying up some stuff...thats the longest "studio work" I've ever done....before that I've quite easily cracked out 12 songs in one day...of course you pay for it in sound.

For a very interesting (welll I thought it was...) insight into studio life....check out the mixerman diaries. Its written from the sound engineers point of view, but gives a good insight into how much time is spent arsing around smoking dope, eating muffins and damaging limbs, as opposed to the actual recording of music!!!! Its a great read...http://www.prosoundweb.com/recording/mm/week1/mm.php

i think its awesome for bands that are able to spend months in a studio.....I think I'd lose my patience after 2 or 3 months....the last Green Day album was the guts of year (if not more)

The Inept 303 EP consisted of a good few afternoons/evenings at Exile...and even then I think we could have spent a bit more time tidying up some stuff...thats the longest "studio work" I've ever done....before that I've quite easily cracked out 12 songs in one day...of course you pay for it in sound.

For a very interesting (welll I thought it was...) insight into studio life....check out the mixerman diaries. Its written from the sound engineers point of view' date=' but gives a good insight into how much time is spent arsing around smoking dope, eating muffins and damaging limbs, as opposed to the actual recording of music!!!! Its a great read...[url']http://www.prosoundweb.com/recording/mm/week1/mm.php

The sound quality of the Green Day album is amazing!

Bob Dylan recorded his fourth album (Another Side of Bob Dylan) in one night.

But there was just him on it.

But even when he ahd a band with him, like on Blonde on Blonde, many of the songs were finished in one take in the studio.

If you have everything well rehearsed and know exactly what you wnat, I guess that helps a lot.

for bands who are at the level of the majority of those on these boards, recording on a whim always strikes me as being dangerous risk towards a waste of money. you don't want to work the songs over and over before you get to the studio and work all te life out of them, but at the same time, if you're not tight and well rehearsed and aware of the songs when you get to the studio, you'll either spend a fortune in the studio or make a hash of it.

it does get more fluent with time tho. we recorded 3 EPs in a number of years and by the time we did the 3rd one, we were familiar with the studio, our equipment and the engineer so things flowed more than in previous times. just remember that it's your own money and if you fuck about, it's your cost.

one thing that made me smile was when we were collecting our equipment from the studio after we finished, nero were arriving to record. we'd always agreed that we'd have everything ready to go when we got to the studio to save time and money so it's new strings in time for them to settle, clean your instrument, look over the electrical shit etc. then as we're leaving al nero walks in looking half baked and talking about getting chucked out of the lemon tree and pulls his SG out of the case. the thing had one string left and looked like shit!

well it made me laugh!

spoons

/x