aberdeen-music

games console help...

delboy

Guest Tam o' Shantie

my advice would be to look on ebay and get an old console, not for the sake of being KEWL or RETRO or anything like that. I've played every console under the sun and none of the modern ones are as fun as my snes or n64. if you have to get a new one either get a gamecube (already going obsolete so will cost fuck all) or get the nintendo DS (handheld baby, looks really innovative and is going to be introduced at RRP 100 quid or something). just don't get a playstation (the casual gamer's console) or an X-box (microsoft console, what the fuck).

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Tam o' Shantie

gamecube as that other dude stated has so many great games too. smash brothers....has wasted about 50 hours of my life and I don't even have a gamecube - i stole my sister's one for a while because she gave me chicken pox 2 years ago, fucking cunt.

Guest neil ex

I've no interest in video games what so ever, but I always play Pro Evolution Soccer when I'm round at a mates house, and it's amazingly good fun in a group...!

I've had someone's SNes in my house for about five years.. It just sits in its box in my room.

i'd say the only thing going for the ps2 is the range of japanese games on it, and in particular bonkers rpgs or games like ace combat. however the xbox has fable, halo, doom3 and soon pirates. i'd say the person who said you can get pretty much any pc game on the xbox was certainly exaggerating. you can get a few but not nearly as much as i'd like. there is very few essential games that are ps2 only whereas there are a number of great xbox only games. forza motorsport looks like it'll make up for no gran turismo 4 on xbox too.

whatever console you get buy burnout 3. it's more fun than pat sharps funhouse.

and buy a gamecube. if only for zelda. and resident evil 4. and animal crossing. and mariokart. and warioware.

The PS3 will look nothing like that, and if it did, it'd be unjust to make such an ace line of consoles look so crappy, and what's with that PAD?!?!? Looks like a shitty x-box pad - which is almost as big as the actual console.

orig00000014.jpg

That's googles top image but i bet it's still nothing like the final product.

As for the choice between a PS2 and X-BOX...

The master says it best..

the pic i saw of the PS3 was nowhere near that 'spaceage', like all the rumoured pics of the PS2 where it was going to look like some kind of UFO, in the end, it had a very sensible design, straight, flat with a sensible colour. The PS3 will come out and probably not look alot different from the PSX, my bet anyway.

There was also talk of being able to use the PSP as a wireless controller for it, could be cool, especially if you could use the screen on the PSP as a second screen (for like maps on strategy games or whatever) sorta affair... but it'd still be about a zillion times better than that Nintendo DS thing.

xbox roxks. especially if you can get online with it. DOAultimate, rallysportchallenge2, starwars:republic commando, halo 1+2 and ghost recon 2. all pretty ace. i love shooters and xbox does it better than ps2 (though pc is the daddy). played a bit of pro evo4 and fifa on xbox. pro evo wins on that count - footie games aint my fave though.......

Well i like ps2's and all but i always thought that the games for nintendo are way better and so much more fun to play........

For example that super monkey ball game...Totally brilliant

Munky

Theres a super monkey ball deluxe comming out for the ps2 and xbox soon. It has a selection of the best levels and mini games from monkey ball 1 and 2.

Link me do!!! http://ps2.ign.com/articles/594/594619p1.html

This is my first post.

I am a strong PS2 supporter, and feel that the XBOX is lacking, personally. People always use the same arguments for buying an XBOX - faster processor, better graphics, easier online setup, support etc etc. What people forget is that the whole reason you buy a games console is to play games, and i feel that XBOX is lacking in any decent games, apart from the obvious Halo series, Project Gotham etc. Think of all the great games just released or awaiting release for PS2 - Metal Gear Solid 3, Final Fantasy 12, Gran Turismo 4. The PS2 is far more attractive to the Japanese market, and therefore has lots more games coming out for it. The XBOX is basically a console for people who don't aren't hardcore gamers. If you want excellent online gaming, fast processoer and amazing graphics, buy a PC. Don't waste your money on an XBOX.

you should choose a console based on what games you want to play. Despite what people on this forum might lead you to believe there are more games than pro evo' date=' fifa and gta! The ps2 has the most varied selection of games, and wins hands down for lightgun games such as time crisis 2 and 3, and crisis zone. Eyetoy is a lot of fun, and it has some of the best beat em ups available such as the tekken games, street fighters, and virtua fighter 4 evo. On the downside, the graphics are the worst of the 3 machines, and on multi format games the ps2's weakneses are really shown.

The xbox has the best graphics, and has the built in memory, so no need for pesky memory cards. There are some cracking xbox only games such as halo 2, dead or alive ultimate, outrun and project gotham. It also is the best supported online service, and is very easy to set up and get going, unlike the ps2. On the negative side there is less variety of games for the xbox, and a distinct lack of japanese quirky games, if that is your thing.

The gamecube is often overlooked, but is the best value machine on the market. It's graphics are almost comparable to the xobx, and it's cheaper than the ps2 and xbox. It does not have a dvd player built in, and suffers from a lack of 3rd party support, and there is no real online service (excluding fan servers for mario kart and phantasy star online), but still has corkers such as all the mario games, zelda, f-zero and as of next week resident evil 4!

Personally I have all 3, and if pushed into keeping one only, it would be a close run thing between my xbox and ps2.

Hope this helps you a bit.[/quote']

No prizes for guessin where you work eh craig? ;)

i prefer the x-brick myself...just a very nice piece of hardware! Although logan got frightened when he noticed our memory blocks were less than 50,000+..heaven forbid!

Plus x-box has so much more potential than the other consoles, what with x-box live, custom soundtracks etc. and i would suggest gettin xbox music maker...my b/f just got it and it sounds pretty neat..cant wait to play it this weekend!!

If you DO get an xbox make sure you get one of the new power cables or it might blow up :p