aberdeen-music

games console help...

delboy

its about time i got into the 21st century and have the funds and the time to get back into playing a games console - since i stopped playing them a few years ago and am a bit out of touch, which is better? playstation 2 or x box?

or should i wait cos i'm sure there must be some super dooper new console about to be unleashed!

also what games? i like shooting things and playing footy....

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

XBox is better, it's got more memory and goes faster and stuff.

For football, Fifa games are good.. most people say Pro Evo Soccer is better but I'd go for Fifa,

and for shooting... um... I don't do that much shooting but Halo is lots of fun (or Halo 2, I suppose, but I prefer Halo) and I think Splinter Cell is a shooting game too and people seem to like it.

Anyway, now no doubt a stampede of gamers will tell you why the PS2 is better...

I would say the xbox as well, as the graphics, and load times are better, plus they have better online support (if you want to venture down that route).

as for games, you can pretty much get any pc game on the xbox due to it being microsoft.

For new consoles the xbox 2 is due at the end of the year, but may not have the hard drive won't know the full details until E3 in May, but it will probably be about 250-300 initially.

Guest haigyman

fifa is a joke compared to pro evo, it's like sonic compared to mario, and i don't give a fuck if the xbox is more powerful than the ps2, cause you have games like metal gear solid on the ps2

WRONG!!

Pro Evolution Soccer 4 was the first Pro Evo release to venture onto other consoles, well by that I mean Xbox. You can get PES4 on Xbox.

Definately get an Xbox, they are miles better than PS2 - for football games don't even look at Fifa, it's disgusting to play once you've played Pro Evo, for Shooting game must haves are Halo and Halo2.

Other must haves would be Project Gotham Racing 2, Crimson Skies, stuff like that! The hard drive is invaluable for gaming and you get much better graphics/loading times/etc on Xbox.

Of course there's Xbox2 at te end of the year but it will be backward compatible with Xbox games so no harm in buying an Xbox now

and more importantly - don't forget that 50Gb HDD... i.e 50,000Mb of space - how much are you for a 32Mb memory card for the PS2?

and any complaints about that controllers being too big are null and void since the new controllers are a lot smaller (mind you I actually liked the huge old controllers!)

it says something when I sold my Xbox on the friday and by friday night i regretted it, and with the money I had from selling it, bought a new one on saturday afternoon after work...

and any complaints about that controllers being too big are null and void since the new controllers are a lot smaller (mind you I actually liked the huge old controllers!)

Making them smaller still doesn't excuse the fact that they have the most retarded control layout since the "Hey, people can just grow an extra hand!" N64 atrocities.

PS2 or die!

the xbox controllers are miles better! Who thought the d pad was more important the the analogue sitck and put it out of the way on the PS2 pad?

I like things round the way they are on the Xbox Small controller - the perfect controller!

Sorry to be a bit mental Bodast but I just wanted to make him aware that now PES4 is on Xbox the ONLY reason to EVER own a PS2 is now This is Football - the best footie game ever made ever.

you should choose a console based on what games you want to play. Despite what people on this forum might lead you to believe there are more games than pro evo, fifa and gta! The ps2 has the most varied selection of games, and wins hands down for lightgun games such as time crisis 2 and 3, and crisis zone. Eyetoy is a lot of fun, and it has some of the best beat em ups available such as the tekken games, street fighters, and virtua fighter 4 evo. On the downside, the graphics are the worst of the 3 machines, and on multi format games the ps2's weakneses are really shown.

The xbox has the best graphics, and has the built in memory, so no need for pesky memory cards. There are some cracking xbox only games such as halo 2, dead or alive ultimate, outrun and project gotham. It also is the best supported online service, and is very easy to set up and get going, unlike the ps2. On the negative side there is less variety of games for the xbox, and a distinct lack of japanese quirky games, if that is your thing.

The gamecube is often overlooked, but is the best value machine on the market. It's graphics are almost comparable to the xobx, and it's cheaper than the ps2 and xbox. It does not have a dvd player built in, and suffers from a lack of 3rd party support, and there is no real online service (excluding fan servers for mario kart and phantasy star online), but still has corkers such as all the mario games, zelda, f-zero and as of next week resident evil 4!

Personally I have all 3, and if pushed into keeping one only, it would be a close run thing between my xbox and ps2.

Hope this helps you a bit.

Sorry to be a bit mental Bodast but I just wanted to make him aware that now PES4 is on Xbox the ONLY reason to EVER own a PS2 is now This is Football - the best footie game ever made ever.

No problema Doc, I wasn't mental'd out or anything (just a little abashed at my lack of gamer knowledge!).

While we're on the topic of vide-o-games, does anywhere in Aberdeen fix Dreamcasts? Nobody seemed to like Dreamcasts but they were so small and neat and white, the controllers are just the right size and they had my favourite games (Sonic Adventure, Crazy Taxi and Soul Calibur THE FIRST). Ahhh... You can impress yourself with new age graphics all you like, I'm never happier than when I have a SNES under one arm and a Dreamcast under the other. :love: Maybe it would be cheaper to buy another one actually, rather than getting mine fixed... dunno what's wrong with it..

I've always been a nintendo kid, so excuse me if i'm a tad biast, but Pah! XBOX Smexbox!! I can't do with a half ton dinosaur that hums like a whale and dims half the lights in your house when you turn the dam thing on. Ps2 is a lot better in my opinion with a varied selection of games to keep u entertained. But if your looking for multiplayer capabilities i'd say gamecube wins handsdown, i mean think about it...its all good and fun sitting inside on a rainy day creating teams on pes of fifa, but i feel the real enjoyment comes out when you have 3 mates and yourself hammering their controllers furiously to games like smash brothers and super Monkey ball, its the ultimate gaming experience.....in my honest opinion :)