aberdeen-music

Which country/film industry makes the best movies?

rufus13th

Never said he wasn't' date=' but I could have picked a better example, I admit...[/quote']

He was Polish, but he made films in France. Kielowski (and teh wonderful Double Life of Veronique) is whom I had in mind when taling about this being a funny question, because directors move from place to place.

New Found Power has a great point too. Western (literary) genre, western actors but filmed in Italy by an italin director. Where'd you place that?

Anyone wanting to dip their feet in to the realm of non-hollywood cinema should check these films oot.

Love's A Bitch - Amores Perros

- Mexican story of a car crash connecting three totally different life stories.

The Experiment - Das Experiment

- German thriller about a Big Brother style prison experiment gone wrong.

Man Bites Dog - C'est arriv prs de chez vous

- Belgian film students putting together an amazing black comedy fly-on-the-wall about a hitman.

Doberman - Dobermann

- Hyper violent French cops 'n' robbers film.

Bangcock Dangerous

- Ultra stylish story of a Mute contract killer.

Tesis - Thesis

-A thesis on Audio/Visual violence goes horribly wrong, swept the spanish Awards when 'twas released.

Jamn, jamn

- Spanish paella of meat, sex and naked bullfighting. Affa funny.

Lilja 4-ever - Lilya 4-Ever

- Heartbreaking story of a Russian girl, beautiful cinema.

Triplettes de Belleville, Les

- "Endlessly inventive, Stunningly Rendered and deliciously dark and twisted"

Tatoo

- Stylish psychological thriller, in the vein of se7en.

I'm no expert on films and there's probably a thousand better ones kicking around out there but those are the best films i've seen off the top of my head in the last year or so that piss all over 99% of Hollywoods mainstream, generic, bog standard releases.

I'd say american filsm are easily my favourite, i would find it hard t put any other above them. We only really get the best of what other countries have to offer over here, so i find it hard to judge them. Plus hte cone brothers are american so it has to go to them.

ALso i thought goodbye lenin was good but slightly dissapointing. THe best foreign language film of recent times, that i have seen is "city of god".

• 3 months later...

Just finished watching Das Experiment. What a brilliantly clever take on what is fast becoming a very tired genre (albeit, it's from 2001, so was probably a wee bit ahead of the game). With this, Goodbye Lenin!, The Edukators and Downfall, I'd have to say that German films of late are head and shoulders above anything that's been spewed off the Hollywood production line.

Lest we forget, the Coen Brothers last two films were Intolerable Cruelty and The Ladykillers :puke:

I don't know if you're just meaning live action, but if not I'd say the japanese with anime. They beat any countries film collection hands down. It's quite hard to say that, being so different, but my dvd collection has more of them than any countries films...and i guess that's a fair enough judgement. I'm also normally more keen to watch one of them than any others.