aberdeen-music

Which country/film industry makes the best movies?

rufus13th

In your opinion of course. I'm quite fed up of recent mundane Hollywood films. There are only a few 'stand out' titles that I find remarkably moving or hilarious. I'm quite keen on Far Eastern films, as I think in general they are responsible for some pretty amazing cinema. My DVD collection is around 60% Asian, 40% Hollywood (with the Asian collection gradually increasing).

I know the HK and especially the South Korean movie industry is booming but I have a soft spot for Japanese cinema. I don't know why but I absolutely adore anything and everything Japanese. My favourite titles include Dare Mo Shiranai (Nobody Knows), Koroshiya Ichi (Ichi the Killer), Battle Royale, Gege (Milk White) and Visitor Q.

Actually I'm ashamed of not checking out more British or Scottish films, as I know we've produced some fantastic films as well. I should really venture into European cinema too.

So anyway, where do you think the best films are made? :D

It really annoys me the way critics and people (critics are not people, of course) go on about Scottish films like they're so fucking awesome because "OH MY GOD" they were made in Scotland. As if we're not capable of much.

Stuff like the recent, Dear Frankie, which was, of course, critically acclaimed. I feel that everybody only thought it was so great because it's Scottish. I doubt the French were raving on about it.

I may or may not have a point here.

Gonin

City of Lost Souls

Battle Royale

Dead Or Alive

Ichi The Killer

Riki Ho

Shogun Assasin

Sonatine

All kick-ass films from only one country. Although i'd be stupid to say that japan is the only country that produces some great films, and i can't really say that i've not seen a good film from almost any country you'd expect. France, Germany, Russia, Korea, China, Belguim, Brazil, UK... the list is much longer, but yea; thousands of lovely wee gems just kicking around waiting to be watched.

There is some great Japanese cinema, and certainly a lot of great French and Polish cinema, but it's true some of it can be pretentious and isn't something to watch for entertainments sake which can turn a lot of people off. Don't be too hard on American cinema, there is still some really strong stuff coming out of the states, even if they did give us 2 Fast 2 Furious.

Guest MarkJDelaney

Best countries for films I think America, Germany, Japan, UK and Brazil. I'm quite ignorant in the fact I haven't seen films from many other countries, aside from France and Spain - not really impressed.

Thanks for the feedback. Yeah I definately need to check out more films from home and away. I don't hate Hollywood, I know they've made plenty of excellent titles in the past. However I do think they are losing originality - especially recently fousing on a lot of sequels/remakes instead of some fresh new writing talent. It's now become tiresome: going to the cinema and sitting through the latest 'blockbuster' that leaves a sour taste in your mouth. I still have high expectations of certain writers/directors though.

Paul, good list but I believe Rikki Oh is a HK film (based on a Japanese Manga though). :D

right now asian cinema is my fave i love some chinese films and a lot of japanese films

but although the whole hollywood thing has stood out in my mind as the killer of all that is great in cinema, it is however what i grew up on

too many classics have came from america it would be wrong of me to say its not my favorite

I'll see your Delicatessen and raise you a La Haine.

Every country has excellent films, the same way as every country has utter bollox too. The thing is you have t keep your mind open to watching films. You can't just not watch, say, American films simply because you don't like The Fast and The Furious. The same way you can't just watch Japanese because you liked Ichi the Killer.

Horses for courses.... unless you're Caligula.

PrheakyPhriday thinks that: France has to take it narrowly from Russia and that the old channel4 agenda of showing foreign films late at night was great

Paulscoconutass is asking:How come of all the good films it would appear that you've seen you decide to make your name the phonetic equivalent of one of the shittest films Ive seen as of late?

:down:

Cheers

Paul

(Not Birdman)

xXxScott xXx

I'll see your Delicatessen and raise you a La Haine.

Every country has excellent films' date=' the same way as every country has utter bollox too. The thing is you have t keep your mind open to watching films. You can't just not watch, say, American films simply because you don't like The Fast and The Furious. The same way you can't just watch Japanese because you liked Ichi the Killer.

Horses for courses.... unless you're Caligula.[/quote']

You're very correct. I do still watch American/Hollywood titles, as there are some filmmakers I respect. I've also seen some crappy JPN titles, such as Moon Child, Battle Royale II etc.